iPhone restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blwade, Jan 10, 2015.

1. blwade macrumors 6502

Buying the iPhone 6+ this year was my first step into smart phones. So I have some questions about how restores work.

I was having some issues with Safari giving me errors and a log full of apps crashing. I keep seeing that one potential solution is to do a clean restore. The problem is that I want to keep the app data for some of my apps (I.e. a couple games and messages). Is it possible to restore the app data for select apps when restoring without using a backup? Or am I starting totally from scratch?

Are there any 3rd part apps to make this happen?

If it matters, I have both a Mac and windows machine I can do the restore from. I primarily use the Mac for iTunes though.

Thanks for the help.

2. Chad-VI macrumors regular

Chad-VI

You can use some PC software Like itools to backup app data for select apps.
    Once you install itools, connect the iPhone to your PC and go to the "apps" tab and check the app you want to backup and click on "backup program and documents" it will backup the whole app and its data so no need to re-download it once restored.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just remember that restoring your phone is no guarantee that your problem will be eliminated. Many times if you restore and use the same data and software, you will have then same problem again. If all else fails, there is little left to try.

I would eliminate added software first starting with what ever you installed just before your problem began.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I did a "restore all settings" to see if I can erase all my contents (photos, etc.), but retain iOS7, but unfortunately, this did not remove my contents. So now, I did an "erase all contents and settings". Unfortunately, my aunt will have to update from iOS7 to iOS8 and experience lag on my 4S when she goes through the initial setup

There was no other options beside "reset network settings". What type of restore were you speaking of?