iPhone Restores From Old Backups.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chkdg8, Feb 27, 2009.

1. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

I sync my phone on a daily basis and rarely, when it starts acting up, I do a complete restore but the problem is that when it gives me the dates to when I want to back up to, they are so old that they do not accurately represent my phone in it's current state. It gave me 3 dates to choose from; November 19, 2008 and January 15 & 16 of 2009. How do I get a much more recent back up? Thank you all in advance.

2. chkdg8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Last night I had to do a restore on my 3 week old 3GS because during my update to the latest FW 3.1.2, it froze the installation process. Now, the part that sucks is again, it only gave me very old backups to choose from. I sync my phone every day because of my podcasts so I see when it says "backing up iphone". This is getting extremely frustrating because everything from my last backup that itunes is offering me is lost and not being restored. Can someone please shed some light on this issue?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your most recent backup should be the one that doesn't have any date on it. Check Edit -> Preferences -> Devices and see if it doesn't show up there. If it doesn't show any recent backups, delete all old backups and start a manual backup by right-clicking on the iphone icon in the iTunes sidebar and selecting "backup" from the menu. Then, after your next sync, check the Preferences again to make sure it made a backup. If the backup date isn't updated, do manual backup every time you sync.

4. chkdg8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your suggestion. Is this something that is known for many users? I've experienced this last year when I had to restore from a jailbroken 3G and the backups where like several months old. That was a major drag.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have no idea. Way back when backups used to take forever, I hacked my iTunes so it doesn't automatically backup every time it syncs an iphone, and have been backing up manually ever since. Since I know exactly when I make my backups, I've never had the problem you're experiencing.