Iphone retina display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cheplampardfan, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

I was at the t mobile store looking to see if they had any iphone 6's available because I am looking to upgrade my 2 year old iphone 5, I compared my iphone 5 display with the 6 and 6+ and I barely noticed a difference, if any. I compared it with all the android phones at the store, including the nexus 6 and the note 4. It's amazing that a display that is 5 years old keeps holding it's own against some of these more advanced screens on the latest and greatest phones that are out now, and still looks better than most of the new amoled phones. I'm actually considering keeping my 5 another year or two because everything runs so smoothly, and I didn't notice much of a diffeerence performance wise compared to the 6 and 6+

2. K701 macrumors newbie

You wouldn't see a difference in screen definition between the 5 and 6. They're practically the same screens, only the 6 being larger. The 6 is faster at opening apps etc, but a lot are not bothered about such a small fraction of time. If you are happy with your 5 and don't want to swap it for a slippery 6, then keep it!

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

the only difference is if you get the iphone 6+.. that one has a 401ppi vs 326 from the rest.

4. Cheplampardfan thread starter macrumors member

Yea I didn't notice a big difference between the phone but it's just one of those things where u always want the latest . I usuly am quick to upgrade every two years, but this time I'm having a harder time letting my 5 go. It just runs great still. Doesn't mean I don't stop by when ever I'm at the mall to play with the 6 though.

5. K701 macrumors newbie

Ahh, I know your pain. I am hoping that a level of maturity will kick in for me and I can mutter such words as 'iPhone 4, 5, 6? I dunno. It makes calls.' I really want Not to be bothered about the latest. But I am. And I am ashamed.

Maybe you having a harder time letting go of the 5 is the first stage of reaching iWisdom? Let me know your secret.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have the 5s and 6 and there is a marked difference in screen quality between them.

7. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

The iPhone 6 has better contrast ratio and deeper blacks.

8. Tomo1971 macrumors newbie

The whole marketing ploy from Apple on the retina screen was a high enough ppi so the human eye can't identify individual pixels. Anything better than the iphone5 the human eye won't be able to differentiate

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

There's more to a screen the resolution and ppi ;)

10. qmeofules macrumors newbie

yes,the only difference is if you get the iphone 6+.. that one has a 401ppi vs 326 from the rest.[​IMG]

11. Ninjuit macrumors newbie

Ploy being the key word. People seem to conveniently leave out the fact that you can't see the pixels when holding the device a certain distance away (The iPhone being past 10 inches). If you hold an iPhone close enough to your face, you'll still see pixels (Up to the 6 anyways. Haven't really noticed pixels when looking at the 6 Plus).

12. Cheplampardfan thread starter macrumors member

It's was very hard to see a difference between the 5 and the 6. The 6+ did look a bit sharper though.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

That's your opinion and that's fine. I see a marked difference between the screens.

It's like the people that say they don't see a difference between 720P and 1080P.

For one there is no colour shift on the 6 compared to previous retina screens. The icons are closer to the glass because the glass is thinner. The contrast ratio is almost double that io the 5s. It's brighter at any given point. The polariser is better. And the screen itself is more power efficient.

So you can say all you want, I see no difference. But there is a fairly large difference.

14. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Agree. I can definitely see the different between a 326PPI vs 401PPI screen.

This is ESPECIALLY true if you are looking at smaller texts or Asian characters.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Doesn't matter what anyone here tells you, if you can't see a difference notable enough to warrant upgrading, then it's not worth upgrading.

The reason you don't see a difference in the sharpness is because the ppi is high enough that most folks won't see a difference with anything more pixel dense at standard operating distances; the limiting factor is the human eye, in theory.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am keeping my iPhone 5 going for another year at least. While the 6/ 6+ is definitely better with its performance, I find the leap not sufficient to justify spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I agree. I can see the difference as well. However, I'm not really all that concerned about that small of a contrast. It's not particularly bothersome.

18. Cheplampardfan thread starter macrumors member

I compared my iPhone 5 with a nexus 6 and a galaxy s5 and the iPhone 5 looked more sharp and accurate.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sounds like you have the right phone for you!

20. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

401 is pretty awesome... I love it. I hope it goes on the next gen iPad mini