iPhone return debacle. Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BG-Mac, Jul 26, 2008.

1. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

So I went into my local Apple store today to exchange my 8gb for a 16gb. They had a bunch of phones in stock so I didn't foresee any issues. I walked up to the first employee I saw and explained to him that the 8gb just wasn't cutting it and I would like to pay the difference and trade up to a 16gb (I bought the iPhone 6 days ago). He then said that I would have to wait in line and pay the restocking fee of 10% since the phone has been opened. I then asked if they had any phones set aside for exchanges as I already waited in line for 4 hours to receive my current phone and wasn't too fond of having to do it again. He then went to talk to a mac genius and came back to me with "We have phones set aside, but they are only for people with mechanical problems. Also, keep in mind you will have to pay the restocking fee and wait in line." I said I'd come back when there was less of a line, but would like to speak with a manager about the restocking fee. He then asked why. I said that I spoke with someone through Apple's 800 number and they informed me that the restocking fee would be waived with the iPhone since it was opened in store. He then denied this and said that they know nothing about the retail side of things.. :rolleyes:. I then said that I should not have to pay the restocking fee since it was an Apple employee that opened the phone in store, and I had no choice in the matter. He then said that they have to do this in order to activate the phone (yeah, no ****.. :rolleyes:).

This was then end of my conversation as I realized I was getting nowhere. My question to you all is this.. Do I have to pay a restocking fee? And.. my current iPhone has an uneven screen and some light leak. If I went in and requested a replacement due to these issues would they allow me to replace it with a 16gb and pay the difference? Any help is greatly appreciated.. :D

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

its worth a try... the restocking fee thing is a blow by apple. they should know that by requiring in-store activation they really have no ground to stand on and if people persist they have to wave that fee... keep trying

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

if you can make the 'problem' into a problem then you may be able to exchange
    but theres no reason to let you upgrade to the 16gb...

4. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. I just really get frustrated when I receive an incompetent employee at Apple. Sometimes I go in and inquire about products and actually have to "dumb-down" what I am saying for them to understand what I am looking for. When I bout my Black MacBook the guy told me that the White one was $400 cheaper and the only difference was the color.. :confused:

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

IMHO, you should have to pay the re-stocking fee. Your phone is opened and used for 6 days and in order for them to even attempt to re-issue or re-sell your phone, they would have to restore it, refurbish it, put in a new SIM or whatever else is required by Apple before they can give it to another customer.

I think it would be different if you had decided on day 1 to exchange it, but you used it for 6 days. I dont think its so much that it was opened, because a new one would be opened in order to activate it as well, but since you changed your mind, Apple did nothing wrong, they shouldn't be out any labor or cost because you changed your mind. Just MHO.

You may get a nice employee to do it for you, but I run my own retail store and if someone just changed their mind about something, but I had to put out labor or costs to have it re-furbed, repackaged, re-SIM'd or whatever, I'd charge a restocking fee as well.

6. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

If they would have had the 16's in stock when I bought my phone I would have bought one. If they would have had the 16 in stock any of the 6 days I had my phone I would have attempted an exchange. I waited in line, in the sun, on a 100* day for 4 hours. All the while I was told they had "plenty of everything in stock." When I FINALLY got through the door the employee told me that all they had left were 8's. I wasn't about to leave empty handed. Apple should provide accurate updates of their inventory to people standing in line to avoid this. And I wouldn't be questioning the restocking fee if I wasn't told directly from Apple's 800 number that I wouldn't have to pay it. Not to mention everyone on the boards reporting that it was not being enforced, JMHO.

7. ElecEagle macrumors member

I think it can be argued that, even though the package was opened in store initially, you would have opened it yourself at some point within the 6 days it was in your possession (you did use it, correct?) ...making your argument moot. Right now, you are trying to exchange a phone that has been opened, regardless who opened it, and should be required to pay the restocking fee.

The rest of your argument is invalid as well. If you didn't want the 8GB initially, then you shouldn't have purchased the 8GB initially. You had the choice, no matter how many hours or what conditions your stood in line or who told you whatever, to walk out of the store without your desired iPhone and come back later. You chose not to.

Frankly, I have to agree with a few others here, you sound like you just want to scam the system. You are right, though, we don't know you ...but some of us have been reading these (and other) forums long enough to recognize what's being said 'between the lines' ...it always starts and ends with you being a victim and nothing is your fault. (Seriously, your statement that you shouldn't have to wait in line now because you already waited in line before is, well, laughable!)

Take responsibility for the choice you made, pay the restocking fee and the difference, get the 16GB and be happy.

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well, it is true that the OP decided after waiting in line all that time that the 8gig black was his piece. So to get a perfectly good phone and then try to return it and not expect to pay a restocking fee? That dosen't make any sense. And to say that the Apple employee actually opened the box and not the OP as justification for waiving the fee is totally rediculous. If the OP went home he would have opened the box himself. The OP had no choice in the matter of opening the phone? Either don't buy it right then and there or get the one that you wanted in the 1st place. He did have/use the phone for six days prior to deciding to return it.

So to either: 1. lie about a defect to return it for a new phone, or 2. to have buyers remorse and expect not to wait in line again or pay a restocking fee,

is totally unrealistic and a complete joke. I don't think that most of the regular posters around here will feel much different about this either.

9. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Nobody forced you to buy the 8gb. You could have waited.
    That's YOUR choice, they did not force it down your throat and make you buy the 8gb. You are losing credibility with this attitude.
    Just pay it and call them after to see. The only people I've read about NOT having to pay a restocking fee if they brought it back defective.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

To assume that the OP is trying to "scam" Apple is a little harsh. He bought the 8GB and then changed his mind. We all make decisions that we regret later. However, I do think paying the restocking fee is appropriate in this situation. It's the price you pay for changing your mind. If this were me, I would happily pay the fee to get what I wanted.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

you should not pay a restocking fee. That fee is for items that were bought sealed and opened by the customer. In this case, like any other phone purchased in a store it was opened when you bought it. what other phone company charges a restocking fee anyway. If they don't want anyone to return the phone they should have said all sales are final. I hope someone sues them over this.

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

restocking fee is the price you pay for returning an item that sold to you sealed, opened. Eg the first iPhone.

13. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

you expect Apple to foot the bill for having to repackage and refurbish your iPhone because you didn't have enough sense to get a 16GB? what planet are you from? the 10% fee is more than fair considering how much it'll cost to ship it back to a place to have it refurbished/repackaged/exchanged.

and then you try the whole "well ya'll opened it" B.S.? come on man, give me a break. like you wouldn't have EVER opened it when you got home. you're a perfect case of excessive entitlement syndrome.

14. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

all cell phone companies charge a restocking fee for items not returned or exchanged in a certain period of time. the period depends on the carrier.

15. shinenjk macrumors regular

Do NOT return 8G for 16G

I wanted to upgrade to a 16G also so I went back to the store thinking it would be an easy process... but O HELL NO IT ISN'T. I thought I would just pay the difference ($100), take the SIM card out of my 8G, pop it into my 16G and be done with it.

It is A LOT MORE complicated process than this. It is mostly due to the SUBSIDIZED pricing BS. Because I used my subsidized price to purchase the 8G, the system wants me to pay the original price ($499) for the 16G. So the Mac Genius & I were calling AT&T to discuss this issue and the AT&T rep told us that the only way to do this is to CANCEL the account which takes 1-3 days, then repurchase the 16G.

So basically I've been left phoneless since walking out of the store yesterday. I'm returning tomorrow afternoon to talk to the Mac Genius but I don't know what's going to happen. I hope that the cancellation has gone through so that I will be able to purchase the 16G. :rolleyes:

16. BG-Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that sucks. Maybe I should just sell my 8GB on eBay and purchase the 16GB at $499. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen.

17. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I think should do the right thing and pay the restocking fee.

18. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

My advice, if you are going to exchange the 8 for the 16, is to get on the line if there is one, and pay the restocking fee.

19. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Apple

I hope you get your exchange.Apple has messed me over with the last iphone in the past. Customer service is lacking. Many people who work at the genius bar are butt heads that don't understand a little thing called customer service. The customer is always right. Apple likes to discontinue phones and lack suitable replacement phones for existing customers. Most iphones have some sort of dead pixel on them. And that ticks me off. Then they act like you somehow caused that pixel to break. I hope you get exactly what you want since you bought it 6 days ago. You have 14 day exchange policy. No restocking. They'll probably cram it into a new box anyway. Don't defend big coorporations. They don't care about you and they can defend themselves. Try to get a good phone that you want. the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! Maybe then they will learn to not send out buggy 2.0 firmware and hand out iPhone 3g's with hardware blemishes to every.one

20. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I think you're all being very unfair to the OP. He clearly stated that he would have no problem paying the 10%, but he had heard that other's didn't have to AND he spoke to Apple, and they TOLD him he wouldn't have to. Now, understandably, he is questioning whether he should have to pay it or whether that Apple store employee gave him misinformation.

I don't think there is any need for any moral judgment about his changing his mind about wanting a 16gb. It's a business. If they allow it, then he can take advantage of that opportunity. Period.

21. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I think the biggest question here is why would you buy something you didn't want? So you waited in line for four hours in the sun...I'm pretty sure you knew this would be the case when you got in line. Besides if you knew you wanted the 16 GB then surely you also knew you were going to have to jump through some hoops and deal with the hassle of making an exchange happen during the current iphone frenzy.

This is clearly a case of you wanting to be the first to have something and show it off even thought it's not what you really wanted.

22. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Please try to make your points without resorting to insults and name-calling.

23. icewing macrumors 6502

"...items that were bought sealed and opened by the customer." So, under this argument, if the employee had not opened it, then the purchaser would not have opened it either and used it? That dog don't hunt...