iPhone XS iPhone return to target (or other 3rd party retailer)

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
so I returned an iPhone purchased at target over Black Friday. Now Verizon is telling me I owe the full price of the phone until target returns the phone (to the warehouse?). What kind of garbage is this? Anyone have any experience returning a phone to a retailer that isn’t the carrier or apple? Got into it with a Verizon rep who told me “you should have gotten the phone directly from us.”

msp3

macrumors regular
May 9, 2015
Give it some time, most national retailers will process instantly and everything is reversed rightaway. I hope you returned to the cell phone people instead of regular customer service/electronics...

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I did but then she walked it up to customer service and nobody seemed to know what to do with it. They even contemplated the possibility of being able to sell it again.

Reactions: crf8

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
So upon further investigation it doesn't look like Verizon is charging me for the phone I returned. It looks like they took me off the monthly payment plan for the phone that I kept and they are charging me for it up front. Going to have to go to a store and see if they can sort it out and get me back on the payment plan.

cub4bearin

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
I had similar situation at Walmart. Well, the returning part. It was iPhone XR.
Instead of going to customer service, I proceeded str8 to cell phone stand and they guy first did return in his system and then Walmart customer service did return with the taxes I paid for it.
After that the same cell phone guy sold me iPhone XS.
The system processed is right away with ATT next plan. Which meant the XR was already reversed with ATT.

Paid taxes on XS and left.

Today, when I checked my ATT account, it already shows iPhone XS on Next plan.

Hope target can sort it out for you. I know that Walmart people (customer service) had to put it back in their system (serial number) to be able refund taxes.