iPhone reverts to GPRS when on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneuser82, Feb 25, 2009.

1. iphoneuser82 macrumors newbie

For whatever reason, I keep noticing that my iPhone will go into GPRS mode (where the 3g/edge logo turns into a circle) when I'm on a call. I live in Los Angeles and as soon as I get off the phone I can see the circle logo which back to the E or 3g logo. I have also noticed a major deterioration in voice quality since noticing the reversion to GPRS. Has anyone else come across this? Is there a fix? Does apple/ATT even know about this?

Thanks

3g iPhone with OS 2.2

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

It depends, if your driving then the problem is that as soon as you get out of a 3G area then it will not come back until you hang up;you can't use edge while on the phone anyways. If you are in the same spot and it is happening (if you have 3G) then try resetting your network settings; if problem continues, then go to AT&T and get a new sim card. If all fails, then tell him he needs a new phone (Visit Apple for that). Hope that helps:cool:

3. iphoneuser82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It occurs when I'm driving, when I'm sitting at my desk, etc. It is hard to believe that Los Angeles isn't completely covered in 3g, let alone EDGE!

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

When driving I guess is normal. I mean even if you lose 3G for 5 seconds it won't come back until you hang up (which stinks). While sitting at your desk though is something else. I think its more of the iPhone problem since this happens to me alot; example, at work I stand in the same spot and have 3 bars of 3G, then when I look, I have 5 bars of edge. Just standing in the same spot it switches back and forth. Try what I told you but I am pretty sure it is normal.

5. Jeonat macrumors regular

It does it to me too. I always assumed the reason was that it was intelligent enough to switch down during a call to save power, because UMTS 3G uses more power than 2.5G GPRS/EDGE, given that the quality of the call stays the same regardless of the transport - which is my experience.