iPhone ribbon cable latch housing broken

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jasonbot, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hi,

I was a dumb idiot and while repairing my iPhones sensor cable I snapped (shattered) the housing for the ribbon cable. all the connecting wires are still intact but the greyish covering is considerably missing. now it starts up but I can't do any sensor activities like screen going off during calls and adjusting brightness. My screen goes white when I press the sleep button.

Just a few questions...

•Is the screen whiteness due to the sensor cable?
    •Is the accelerometer attached to the same sensor cable as the prox and brightness sensors?
    •Does anyone have some helpful tips for me (like where to get the part)

added pic of busted part from ifixit.

Attached Files:

2. wjanoch macrumors newbie

Put up Ads looking for busted iPhones

I've seen ads on Craig's list for people looking to acquire broken devices.

You might put up a free ad in a couple Craig's list cities and see if anyone has a dead iPhone you could get the part out of. I'm sure some folks have busted screens and just bought new iPhones.

Not everyone is inclined to try fixing their own, so you might even get a couple and have some spare batteries for down the road when yours starts failing to hold a charge for long.

You might even find someone with water damage, which happens to have a good screen. Might end up with enough parts for a complete spare iPhone ;-)

3. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I sold my iphone 16gig 3g online without an lcd, cracked digitizer for 150 bux there are alot of people looking for parts that have the repair parts in bulk that can turn around the phone and sell it for double unlocked.