iphone ringer/silent switch design flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gentleman00, Jun 27, 2009.

1. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

You would expect apple to design products that are sturdy and reliable. This appears not to be case when it comes to the ringer/silent button. The silver metal button broke off and I had to glue it back on using crazy glue. I did not drop the iphone to cause the silver metal switch to break off. Shame on apple for not being able to design the buttons and switches on the iphone to avoid such problems (especially for a company that spends millions on the industrial design of its products). I was never a big fan of the iphone buttons excluding the home page button. In future iphones, I would like to see the design changed. Has anyone else had problems with the ringer/silent switch breaking off?:confused:

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Nope, no problems here. If I did, though, I would have taken it to an Apple Store before I glued it back on, even if it were out of warranty.

3. macrat macrumors regular

I had the same problem. I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it with a refurb, no questions asked. The refurb looked brand new and way better than my slightly scratched 3G. A month later I sold it for $300 to get my 3GS :D

4. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

My ringer switch has become looser since I bought it. So just reaching in my pocket, I can easily switch it. I'm wondering if I should get it exchanged, I don't like how simple bumps can turn the ringer back on when it might be important to keep it silent. The 3G my dad got had a pretty stiff ringer switch.

5. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Right. Same here, never any problems with my last two phones.

And agreed, I'd have taken the phone back to the store before using crazy glue.

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I flipped that switch twice every day at least for 2 years on my original phone, and dropped it on the switch a few times too, still sturdy as a rock... though its a little chewed up from the drop, but I can still flip it ok.