iPad iPhone rings on my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ozshadow, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ozshadow macrumors regular

This morning I was reading on my iPad. My wife called my iPhone 6 with her iPhone 6.

My phone rang, but the screen of the iPad displayed the incoming call just like the iPhone.

What is this and what are the limitations or uses?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

You can also do text messages as well.

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

"iPad and Mac, now answering the call.
    Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room. Or it’s buried in your backpack. But your Mac or iPad is sitting right there. Now you can make and receive phone calls on those devices as long as your iPhone running iOS 8 is on the same Wi-Fi network. Incoming calls show the caller’s name, number, and profile picture. Just click or swipe the notification to answer, ignore, or respond with a quick message. And making a phone call from your iPad or Mac is just as easy. Simply tap or click a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari. It all works with your existing iPhone number, so there’s nothing to set up."

Edit: iPhone and iPad/Mac need to be on same wifi network.

3. ozshadow thread starter macrumors regular

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

To set up the Text Message forwarding

"To use Continuity for SMS and MMS on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac:

Update your iPhone to iOS 8.1 (when available).
    Enable iMessage on your Mac and iOS devices.
    On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on Text Message Forwarding.
    Your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac will display a code you can enter on your iPhone to verify the SMS and MMS feature."

Great document on all the features available.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6337?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US