iPhone rings to line out (speakers) on the dock? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bestthereis27, Mar 2, 2010.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3G and would like to use it to replace my land line. I have the Apple docking station as well. I want to be able keep the phone on the dock which is connected to a computer at all times to charge and the dock has external speakers plugged into the line out port.

When the phone rings I would like to have the ringer play through the external speakers so I can hear it where ever I maybe. I tried this earlier and it does not work. The ringer continues to play out of its built in speaker. Is there anything I can do to make it happen?

Thanks.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you talking about a line-out port on the dock? (I don't have one, but I think that's what you mean.)

Plug the speakers into the actual phone's headjack. That's one extra step, but it should work the way you want, at least.

3. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

I did plug speakers in the regular head jack...still rings though built in speaker.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

My 3GS rings through the headphone jack. Maybe 3Gs didn't do this?

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

yeah that doesn't sound normal

you need this kind of cable

plug one into your docking station, and the other cable into your iPhone

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/CablesToBuy-3-5mm-STEREO-FEMALE-Y-CABLE/dp/B001CQLFEQ

I haven't tested this out but theoretically this is what I know

When undocked

Music and Phone/ringer/voice go through your 3.5mm dock

When Docked

Phone/ringer/voice goes through 3.5mm the rest(music) goes through the 30pin connector

Good luck