iPhone Ringtone Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Vandread02, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Vandread02 macrumors newbie

Ok. So I attempted to create my own ringtones using the convert AAC file, then change it to a m4r and put it on iTunes that way.

Now, it shows up as under my iPhone's Ringtone section in iTunes, but when I go to my Settings > Sounds > Ringtones there isn't anything new there.

So thus I decided to just buy a ringtone. So using a song I had purchased previously, I created a ringtone and when I attempted to import to my iPhone, it claims it can't be put on my iPhone because I'm "not authorized to play it on this computer".

Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong here?!

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

3. Bmode macrumors regular

What version of iTunes are you using that it worked for you, because I tried this too and iTunes 9.0.2 doesn't work with that method?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, it does.

5. Bmode macrumors regular

Congrats Aggie, you've just failed the reason for being in the forum for helping people. LOL

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have version 9.02--one thing I did think of as the length of the ringtone which from what I understand can't be more than 40 seconds.

7. Bmode macrumors regular

Right on Bob, I'm using 9.0.2 as well and syncing to a 3GS 3.1.2 version iPhone. I used to have iToner, but skipped that once I found out about the M4a to MR4 conversion trick, and I did 28 or so ringtones months ago, but yesterday I tried to add more doing this trick and iTunes didn't recognize the converted file as a ringtone, and furthermore I couldn't drag it into the ringtone section up top to sync it? So I'm back to using iToner right now til I figure this out.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What are you talking about?

9. Kevisty macrumors newbie

Re:iPhone Ringtone Issue

You didn't do anything wrong. as far as i know, some songs can not be used to make ringtones even though you have purchased them. Maybe it's because of the DRM protection.

10. cx92envy macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. the problem is even after editing them to under 30 sec, once i add them back to itunes it plays the full song even though showed under ringtones thats why the iphone wont recognize them.

I just cant figure out how to fix it?

11. cx92envy macrumors newbie

so i got it LOL

it was still listing as 3 minutes or so even though i trimed it. I had to convert to acc again then it showed up as 30 minutes and recognizable by my iphone!

hope this helped.

12. Bmode macrumors regular

Aggie don't be a dork and prologue the thread here, just tell us what you did that made it work? Obviously some are having issues with that method, so be helpful list information to help others, hence the forums decorum.

Great it works for you, are you using iTunes 9.0.2 and syncing to an iPhone 3GS 32GB? Are you using MP3 or AIFF's file format to convert the MR4 ringtone format? Get it? :rolleyes:

CX, I'm glad it worked for you. All my prospective ringtones are like :22 secs, so that's not my issue unfortunately. I started using iToner again, but I'd rather use iTunes as I have 27 already there syncing perfectly, I just can't add more? And I have 2GB's of space on my iPhone? Odd.

13. djltoronto macrumors member

Bmode, in the warnings and section of this link - it states..

I have been able to trim many songs and convert them into ringtones without difficulty.

What I did was:

1. Use Audacity (100% free) to trim the song to the section I wanted for my ringtone, then save new short file as an MP3
    2. Using Winamp (100% free), convert the files to aac (M4A extension)
    3. Simply rename the .m4a to .m4r
    4. Double click the file and iTunes pulls it in as a ringtone - and it syncs

None of my songs are DRM protected. I'm using iTunes 9.0.2 and iPhone 3Gs, 16GB, WinXP

Hope this helps. :)

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What else can I add to the 2nd post??? It works. I didn't do anything different.

I will add that it was mp3's, though.

15. Bmode macrumors regular

Thanks DJ, that's not a factor here. All files are AIFF or MP3. And I actually got it to work again. After three attempts. The file finally popped up under the ringtone section in iTunes. I'm not exactly sure what happened in the prior attempts.

I would add a note to step 11 to delete the newly created M4A file in the playlist. Then go find the newly created m4a file and switch it to m4r. Thanks for the tips all.

16. macfan60 macrumors newbie

Iphone Ringtone issue suggested solution

Apparently Ringtones in ITunes are considered music and cannot be synced if you manually mange your music. It you try to sync it deletes all music. If you manually manage ringtones they do not transfer to the Iphone by dragging to the ringtones folder on the device. I found this work around to manually manage ringtones. And this also explains how to make ringtones in ITunes. I'm using ITunes 9.0.2 on a Mac and have an IPhone 3G s.
    1) In music library select the song that you want as a ringtone. The KIND must be “Purchased AAC audio file”
    2) Decide where to start and end it to create 30 seconds of play time
    3) Right click to Get Info
    4) Select Start and Stop time in Options
    5) Click OK.
    6) Select song again in music library. Right click. Select Convert to AAC.
    7) Creates duplicate in your Music list.
    8) Drag to desktop.
    9) Rename file from M4A to M4r.
    10: Import/Add to Library
    11) Drag to Device ICON not Ringtone folder
    macfan60 is offline Reply With Quote