Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CW487

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I have tried to sync ringtones using the M4r file name and everything sync good on my itunes but my iphone will only show one song repeated. tried unclicking manually Manage music and then syncing again, :confused:still the same problem.. HELP!!

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
I have tried to sync ringtones using the M4r file name and everything sync good on my itunes but my iphone will only show one song repeated. tried unclicking manually Manage music and then syncing again, :confused:still the same problem.. HELP!!

In iTunes, under the ringtone tab, deselect syncing any ringtones, then run a sync. Once its done, verify that no custom ringtones exist on the phone. Go back into iTunes and chose to sync. I had the same problem as you, and this took care of it. Seems like manual management needs a spot of work!

BlueLou

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
any other work arounds?

I just got an iphone and eagerly made 2 new ringtones using garageband. The ringtones work fine on itunes. I then manually moved the ringtones to the iphone. If I move one, things are fine. When I move the second, it overwrites the first one, so i have 2 copies of the second ringtone on the iphone.

I have a subset of my music that I keep on the iphone (a separate playlist). Because of that, I'd like to continue to sync music manually. is there a work around or some other way to deal with the ringtones?

help a newbie out! Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

iPhone on 1.1.3

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I finally found a solution!! I was having the same problem and decided that it didn't make sense to drag and drop my ringtones to my iPhone and have them sync at the same time.

I tried putting two ringtones in and when I would look at my iPhone, it would duplicate the first ringtone, which was a pain. This is what I ended up doing:

I keep manage music manually on, I've always liked it better. With that option on though, I have to unselect "Sync Ringtones" in the Ringtones tab. Now how are you supposed to sync them huh? Just drag them from your Ringtones library in iTunes and drop them to your iPhone. They will automatically appear and no more duplicates!!

kingpunk

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
--same diff--

-
Hi! Im new here. I just got the 16gb iPhone two days ago, and i just started creating a lot of my own custom ringtones and making them .m4r files that are compatable with the iphone. ...catch is. well, you get the issue is the same as it is described above several times.
the post above mine didn't resolve my issue, i (no matter how i try to copy/sync the tones) still get the multiple of the same-tone being synced with the iphone.
i can do each one individualy, all at once, manually or automagically and it all comes with the same result, multiple copies of the same tone.

now, if i do only one at a time. (if i only want one custom ringtone) they'll each work. but id like to have a ringtone for each person, not just one custom tone.

------------ RESOLUTION:
If you do "automatically sync music" and do the same for the ringtones, it'll copy everything over, as it is supposed to. I guess there is an issue with manual management that the software needs corrected.
-- this link helped explain it a bit: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6391936#6391936
-KingPunk

meldanbri

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I am unable to sync my converted (.m4r) ringtones to my iphone all of a sudden -- anyone know what might have happened or what I can do to fix this? Thanks

vishaldove

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I am unable to sync my converted (.m4r) ringtones to my iphone all of a sudden -- anyone know what might have happened or what I can do to fix this? Thanks
same here, dont know what happenned suddenly, Before it used to work fine, Now after upgrading to 1.1.4, I can convert them fine from aac to m4a and then renaming to m4r, but while adding them onto the iphone, although it shows in itunes ringtones folder, it will not add in iPhone ringtones folder, what is the problem! cant understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.