iPhone ringtones conversion help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trigger5012, Jan 6, 2010.

1. trigger5012 macrumors newbie

excuse me if this is a silly question, but i have just started playing with my songs to convert into a ringtone. I created one from a CD that i own that i had copied onto my computer. Am i still able to make a ringtone from the songs i have purchased from itunes and is it legal to do so? as apple are aware of what is in your library i am concerned about breaking any laws.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Silly Question? not at all :confused:
    Did you try Google or perhaps searching the forum here? I know all your questionS have been answered a few hundred times.
    Some use garage band, others use iTunes, well others use any of the 'free' web based ringtone providers like audiko

3. crzcar macrumors newbie

My first post here trying to contribute. I just made one for myself using one of my favorites track from iTunes using freeware "WavePad" for Mac OS. I had a few unsuccessful attempts but later read that ringtones need to be less than 30 second. Successful after knowing this! Another point to note is you need to rename .m4a to .m4r format.

4. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Are you asking how? Or are you asking if you are allowed to?

5. trigger5012 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know how to do it, and im guessing its not legal. do you know if it is illegal to make ringtones A) from your own burnt cds, and B) from the songs downloaded from itunes. Cos there is noway im paying £1 for a 20second ringtone when i already have the song which i paid only £0.79.

6. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I'm not sure if you're talking about creating a ringtone and then paying .99 to create it (I haven't checked it out lately, but that was how it was when I wanted to make one through iTunes)
    For my phone I use www.audiko.net
    See if the ringtone you want is on there?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Of course it's legal.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

For $15 it's hard to beat iToner IMHO. Drag and drop, one click, and your MP3 is converted and uploaded to your phone. Great software.

9. jvn1 macrumors newbie

Take a song in itunes. Right click and pick Get info. Go to the Options tab. Using the start and stop times pick the 30 seconds that you want to use as a ring tone. Exit then right click again and click convert to AAC format. This 30 second clip should be created in m4a format. go into the folder where it is located and change the file from .m4a to .m4r Go back and add this renamed file to itunes and you will have a ringtone that can be synced to your iphone.

10. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok I am really frustrated with this...
    I've been making Ringtones through iTunes for almost 2 years now, using the method explained in the post above me...

But lately my iTunes has really been acting up, and I think even before I updated it to the latest 9.1 version.

I cannot get the "Convert to AAC..." option on a right click no matter what I do...

[​IMG]
    I went to Edit>Preferences>Import Setting and did make sure it's on "AAC Encoder" Still nothing...

[​IMG]

Also my iTunes can never detect the "Remote" app from my iPhone,

what seems to be the problem here?

Can someone please help!!

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

so can you do this with burnt music?

12. lfhdez macrumors member

lfhdez

They changed this. I don't know when but it's no longer on the right click menu. It's also the same for Mac OS. Now it's listed under the "advanced" drop down menu.

13. lfhdez macrumors member

lfhdez

But I would also suggest to get iToner. AWESOME piece of software. Don't know if they have it for PC though.

14. Hmac macrumors 68020

I use Ambrosia's Wiretap Studio to make the MP3's - it will losslessly convert and edit any audio that comes out of the Mac to an MP3 (iTunes content, videos, web site audio, samples from ringtone stores etc) then drag the edited MP3 to iToner which automatically converts it to a ringtone and uploads it to the iPhone.