iPhone ringtones (uk)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hudzilla, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I'm just wondering when ringtones for the uk iPhones are going to be availiable
    Or, if they are how do you get them
    Does anyone know

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Why don't you try iToner. It works very well and allows you to use any of your music as a ringtone.

Alternatively you can pick up hundreds of free ringtones on the web and use this to put them on your iPhone.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

3. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

or try this

pick a song you want to have as a ringtone
    select the part you want to use and cut it to size between 30 -39secs long using Audacity (Thats what i use), http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ and have it no longer than 39seconds
    once you have picked which section and the correct length,
    export it as MP3
    then drag the MP3 file into you MUSIC list on iTunes
    then right click on the MP3 in iTunes
    and click on "Convert Selection to AAC
    once that has converted it, you will have the 2 file 1 MP3 and 1 AAC
    delete the MP3 file which leaves you with the AAC file
    Right click on the AAC file and click COPY
    go back to your music folder and perhaps setup a folder in the called Ringtones
    and PASTE the AAC file into the RINGTONES folder
    once the file is there, it should say at after the file name .m4a
    then you change this to m4r and will ask you do you want to change the extension of the file which you click YES
    then once its changed you just Double click on the song and it will Automaticaly go into your ringtones section in iTunes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PAUA1QYOgGY

4. Hudzilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Thanks alot!!!

Easy to follow, and worked a treat !!!

5. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Trouble...

Hi,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but when I right-click a 30 second track in iTunes, I don't have the option to convert to AAC.

The file I'm clicking on is DEFINITELY a .mp3 file.

Any ideas anyone?

6. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Yeah, you have to change your import settings to AAC in itunes prefs first.

prefs > Advanced > Importing

Ed

7. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Brilliant! Thanks for letting me know so quickly.

I was experimenting and ended up importing a 30 sec track into garageband and exported it to .m4a. Renamed it to .m4r and that also worked a treat.

Thanks again!

8. segat1 macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for this ^^ best explanation I've read so far!

OK, I have the ringtone showing up as a ringtone in my "Ringtones" folder in the Music folder, the extension is correct and the filetype is Ringtone. It shows up in the iTunes Ringtone folder too. However, when I try to sync my ringtones to the iPhone, the filename is greyed out in the iPhone's ringtones folder. And cannot be found on the iPhone via Sound settings *is that right?*

Pics here:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96834&stc=1&d=1199733085

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

9. Hudzilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Is the 'sync all ringtones' box selected in the ringtones tab iTunes?

10. segat1 macrumors newbie

Yup. :(

11. azzple macrumors newbie

Hey I had this problem!!! Managed to figure it out though so hope this helps:

Basically use garageband to edit a chosen MP3 to the length you want it, then simply click SHARE and SEND RINGTONE TO ITUNES... Once you have adjusted the length of the tone to reflect the length of your piece of audio (sticking to MAX as above) everything will work PERFECT!

:)

12. jockkkk macrumors newbie

Problem with audacity

Hi there,

Great guide thank you, the video is reallt handy..

I'm having a problem with audacity. When I drag the file from windows and play it it plays really quickly and is just a squeak more than a song. The speed seems to be far too fast. But when I select file, open and choose a track that way it works perfectly well. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, can anyone help?

Thanks

13. jockkkk macrumors newbie

It's all sorted - thanks for the guide and in particular the video, really useful.

I'll see you after the next itunes update!

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

The reason your tone won't sync is ...it is to lonnnngggggg. Shorten it up to 29 secs or less and try it again.

Good Luck

15. danthetigger macrumors newbie

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Another guide for Garageband. This one shows you how to convert songs from your iTunes library into ringtones.

17. sibruk macrumors 6502a

18. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

I use GarageBand to create all of my ringtones. It is a bit complicated, but it works quite well.

19. DelapsusAngelus macrumors newbie

how do you scroll along the whole song in audiko?

Thanks

20. T10HJS macrumors member

i have made ringtones in the past by using the convert to ACC method
    but now for some reason on iTunes 8.2 i cant get it to work, is anyone else having issues? i dont have the option to convert to ACC anymore :(

UPDATE 5 Mins Later

After driving myself crazy i found the issue, the import options are no longer under advanced they are now as below

Preferences --> General --> then there is a button saying import settings

21. Acronym macrumors 68000

hey you beat me to the punch on this one but not so much, because awhile back i posteds a guide full of pictures on how to do this look at my signature for the guide and if you ever feel the need just post that as a link for fellow ringtone wanters

you gotta keep it under 33 seconds long as i have somewhat tested this and 33 seconds so far is the longest i have made one with the ringtone still working for an iphone

22. w1144482 macrumors newbie

Hi There.......I have a bit of a problem when I get to the last stage. I drag the file into I tunes and then convert it to an AAC file. I then drag it onto my desktop but I am having difficulty changing the m4a file to an m4r.It does not let me and there is no where for me to do it. I have looked every where including in properties but I cant find the answer. Under file type it says MPEG-4 Audio File (.m4a) but I cant change it. I was wondering if someone could help me??? Thanks

23. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Did u go into the folder options in my documents, folder options, and take the tick out of where it says, hide file extensions?

24. jctevere macrumors 6502

There is also a way to do this all from within iTunes.
    1) Find a song that you wish to make into a ringtone.
    2) Right-click on the song then left-click on "Get Info" and navigate to the Options tab.
    3) Set "Start Time" and "Stop Time" for desired ringtone playtime. (You may experiment and adjust it perfectly to your liking, use decimals for increased accuracy such as 1:02.4)
    4) Right-click once again on the song and left-click on "Create AAC version"
    5) Right-click the newly created AAC version of the song (length should be however long you set the start and stop time to) and then left click on "Show in Windows Explorer" if your on windows or "Show in Finder"? if on mac (Don't have mac, not sure what it says, just use garageband, its free).
    6) You will then see the file in your folder "Nameofsong.m4a", simply right-click and rename it to "Nameofsong.m4r" *If you don't see the file extension and only see the name of the song in the folder, go to the "tools" tab in the folder and then "folder options", then navigate to the "view" bar and uncheck the box labeled "Hide extensions for known file types" and it should appear and let you edit it*
    7) After editing the name you might get a pop-up stating: "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you wish to change it?". Left-click "Yes".
    8) Now double-click on the newly renamed file so that it will play in iTunes (if it doesn't play in iTunes automatically for some reason, maybe its not set as your default player, just right-click on the file and go to "open with..." and select iTunes from the list.) If that still doesn't work backtrack and see where you faulted.
    9) If done correctly iTunes should begin to play the desired ringtone and display it in the ringtone folder.
    10) Now all that's left to do is to delete the old AAC version and reset the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" under the options tab of the original song (You can simply just un-check the boxes and it will revert back to original times). Finally, make sure you iPhone is setup to sync ringtones from your iTunes library and enjoy!

To hear these ringtones on your iPhone and select them go to the "Settings" application, then click on "Sounds", then click on "Ringtone"; they will be listed under "Custom". If you run into any problems post them here and I will try to help you out. I did this using Windows XP, steps in Vista should be relatively similar.

25. downandout macrumors newbie

downandout

Thanks for that, very clear and easy to do. I take it there's no similar action that can be done for message alerts? can't see anything through a googl search.