Iphone (rogers - Canada)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz786, Mar 14, 2008.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

okay so ive had my iphone for a good while now and ive noticed that my reception as well as edge speeds have really slowed down. they are much slower with the iphone then my past phones (SE P1i to be exact)

is it possible that the iphone is at risk here or my sim card?? because rogers reception is amazing and my friends phones with the same network have amazing reception!

i am really confused at the reason why my reception would be weaker then other phones..also with edge speeds are much slower as well

anyone out there with any suggestions?

thx

2. antibact1 macrumors 6502

The SE P1i is a 3G phone and has access to the higher speed data network.

3. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i know that
    but in canada there is no 3g
    but i still found the reception to be better
    so is it the phone?

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Rogers has a 3G network, just not a lot of 3G handsets. If you've seen any advertisements for phones that support video calling, they are 3G. The reception thing must just be the iPhone. Call quality varies from device to device, just the nature of it. Also, there are other external factors such as your location, other interference that could be causing it.

Edit: Rogers calls their 3G network Vision

http://rogers.com/vision

5. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

ic so we do have 3g just the iphone has yet to support it

but how come when im in the same classroom as friends, my cell phone either cuts out or has no reciption where as they have full bars

!!! and there phones aren't 3g

6. antibact1 macrumors 6502

The iPhone doesn't yet have 3G support. It's speculated that this will appear in the second version of the iPhone out later this year. As to why your phone is cutting out, no way to tell for sure. It may just be that your friends have phones with really great reception, or that the iPhone reception isn't that great. I myself use Bell and the reception is generally quite good. Friends of mine with Rogers seem to get service in more areas than I, but their call quality is not as good. Too many varying factors to really narrow it down. The only way to really check would be to get a second iPhone and try it out.

7. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

so if i were to move to this vison service with rogers, would i notice a difference in the speeds or is that to do with EDGE basically??

to do the with the service (reciption (amount of bars i have)) i think ill ask rogers about it and see what they say

8. igglepuff macrumors regular

just a fyi; if you go to rogers you CANNOT use the 'unlimited* browsing on mobile-device' thing in teh comm pack with your iphone. It will not work. It's wap only, and for rogers-branded phones (yes they can tell). People think they got away with it last month however, a frind working there said hes started to see bills go out with redicilous amounts of charges for data this month - just liek everyone said.. wait a month or 2 :p.

However, they are supposedly undergoing a few data changes to introduce a data tier play starting at 15$ including a drop to something like $5/MB for overusage on other types of plans, a nice change from teh 5cents a Kb.. yea, kb. gg.. It's been pitched but no ones allowed to say how it went yet. we'll see soon - the rumored date is 25 or whatever tha tmonday would be for launch, though im sure rogers will delay it.. as usual. they liek sucking $ out of people for data heh