iPhone Rookie

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cnasty, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

First time poster, long time lurker. :)

I am diving into the greatness that is the iPhone this go around since I like what the 3G version has to offer. I had some questions and concerns though that I wondered if some of the vets could answer.

1. I spoke to an ATT rep today and they said that messages received from chat programs like AIM,Messenger, and others are a TEXT message and will be counted as so. I thought maybe it would be in the internet portion of the plan,would you guys know??

2. Any good sites that you can download movies from for a per month fee or flat fee that are perfect for the iPhone?

3. I currently dont have Itunes on my computer, do I need that to have the iPhone?? I usually just get the songs off my CDs for music and have never used Itunes.

My ATT rep said they sold out last year at this store, so to get here early for a release day one. Let the party begin!!

I have already found a ton of good info on the iPhone and other great stuff on this site and you guys rock!! Any help would be appreciated and look forward to more time on the site. Thanks in advance!

2. seenett macrumors regular

1. Wrong. It is internet data
    2. don't know of any
    3. Seriously? Get iTunes, it's free, it is required to sync your iPhone, it is an essential program in 2008

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Yes you need iTunes

go to Apple.com/itunes and download now..its free and get everything ready

iTunes lets you buy/ rent movies perfect for the iPhone

4. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Yes. It organizes your muzak. Your phone will get updates and itunes is needed for those :)

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Hello and welcome to the madness. I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I will help where I can.

1) That's sketchy. I'd guess AIM/Chat would fall under Wi-Fi, 3G or EDGE usage, not texting, but anything is possible.

2) Not that I'm aware of. Even if there were, you'd probably have to convert them over, ect, and it would just be a pain. Use iTunes to rent/purchase movies instead, that is why it is there. :)

3) Yes, you have to have iTunes installed to activate the phone, get updates, ect. You can still rip songs from your CDs to the iPhone, you'll just do it via iTunes' playlists.

Nobody knows for sure how the lines are going to be. Another good tactic is also hitting up AT&T stores, as most people will probably go to Apple stores instead.

I'm not even sold if I want to "upgrade" or not. I was hoping my wife would take my current iPhone and I could get the 16GB 3G version, but she wants something else as of right now.

6. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to do some more research on the instant messenger thing as that is where most of my communications are done with my friends. Hope it is through the unlimited data!

I did find this site, but no clue how reputable or good it is. $50 one time only fee sounds to good to be true, but I dont know for sure.

http://netiphonedownloads.com/

I will get on the iTunes ASAP..thanks guys.

7. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I wouldn't touch that site with a bargepole. Looks dodgy as hell. You're much better off using itunes, or using handbrake or similar to convert your existing dvds into iphone format.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Advice taken.

How much do movies go for on iTunes??

My computer is so OLD that I have to use my laptop since I dont have XP or Vista. :eek: