iphone rumor reliability history

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heycal, May 2, 2014.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

My contract with Verizon is up tomorrow, and I'm thinking of switching to the iphone after years of Android use. Yet I hear reports of a coming 4.7 screen in September, which sounds like the ideal size to me. (Not interested in any 5."5 version.)

But how reliable are such rumors? Do you iphone historians know how accurate past predictions of both screen size and release dates have panned out?

I'd hate to wait until September, puttering along with my old Lucid LG, and then be disapppointed if the iphone 6 ended up having the same width as the 5 -- and if it didn't actually come out until December or something. (I have vague memories of rumors of a larger iphone 5, but it turned out the larger size was in the wrong area of the phone -- they just made it taller instead of adding some much needed width. Doh!)

Thoughts?

2. cynics macrumors G3

They made the iPhone 5 16:9 ratio which is more standard. The top and bottom bezel plus comparing it to previous models makes it look weird to some.

I've found the rumors here to be somewhat accurate. But until it's announced we won't know without a doubt.

If it were me I'd wait. If nothing else it will offer something of use previous models don't.

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I think the rumors are accurate about a size increase for sure.

I wouldn't believe all these concept renderings and mock ups though until it's announced.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not think there is much doubt anymore about a larger iPhone 6.

The real unanswered question is how much larger and will there also be a much larger one to join it?

Right now it is all rumor!

5. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I think they are fairly accurate, at least the iPhone 5 rumors were. It's impossible to keep stuff like this a secret anymore. Especially since it's made in China and from what I hear those guys Employee Opinions Surveys aren't very high. :D

6. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Am I mis-remembering, or is there often some surprise that the rumors miss? Something they didn't do that that rumors suggested they were going to do, and did something different instead?

----------

I do think the iphone 5 looks a bit too tall for its narrow body, and that the 4 looks better aesthetically. But if they'd also made iphone 5 a bit wider along with the height increase, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

7. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

^^^this

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And remember how the fingerprint sensor leaked nearly a year before the 5S even launched. A freaking year.

At this stage it's probably safe to say the leaks are probably pretty accurate, with the minor particulars being the only unknown.

9. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

When they refer to the various sizes of phones -- 3.5, 4, a potential 4.7 -- what does that mean exactly? Screen size alone? And meaured how, diagonally form corner to corner? If so, that would almost certainly mean a 4.7" phone would include at least some increase in width, right?

10. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Of course. Both width and height will be increased. Do some people really believe Apple would only increase the height of the screen again:confused:

The iPhone 5 was an exception (They went from the 3:2 to 16:9 ratio, which has become a standard for smartphones). They will stay with the 16:9 ratio for the foreseeable future.

11. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. But then, if you'd had asked me if iphone would have only increased the height instead of the width when they went from the 4 to the 5, I would have said "no way!"

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the aspect ratio stuff. Don't various phones have various ones, or were the pre-iphone 5s the only one who didn't do 16x9?

12. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

The iPhone was the lone wolf in the 3:2 (or was it 4:3?) aspect ratio slot. Everyone else had gone to either 16:9 or 16:10. The 5 was so much tall as the 4 was ridiculously wide.