iPhone Rumor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MKT7@mac.com, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MKT7@mac.com macrumors newbie

I've heard from a few people that the 'home' button is going to be done away with and completely scrapped. In its place the bottom half of the iPhone will be clickable and serve as the home button. Apparently it will work similarily to the Macbooks new buttonless trackpad.

Not sure if it's true, but this is what I've heard, and I think it's a wonderful idea.

Thoughts?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I haven't heard the rumor. I would like to see them do something different with the home button. It needs a refresh. I was thinking a capacitive sensor home button, but that would be too easy to "press" during normal use.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I severely doubt any change to the home button is coming.

Not gonna happen. You need the 2 physical buttons to hard reboot the iPhone. If one of these buttons isn't an actual physical button then this becomes a bit of an issue. There have been 1 or 2 times when the touchscreen on my iPhone becomes completely unresponsive, so a capacitive touch home button would most likely become unusable as well, making a hard reset of the iPhone next to impossible to perform.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

That's completely true. I never thought of that. I guess they could always use a volume button as a secondary physical button for a hard reboot, but that is VERY unlikely.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Unless we get some sort of reset hole or something but that's very non-Apple like.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm just really hoping for gestures and a dedicated gesture area like the Pre.

Oh yea, and unobtrusive notifications, but that isn't going to happen...

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

See my thread here GriP for iPhone, an alternative to popup notifications., for more info about un-obtrusive notifications. Once this gets out of beta it will be great. :)

8. osin macrumors 6502

What I would like to see is to have this black part of the screen (where the home button and speaker is) touch sensitive. This would help with keeping hands off the screen while scrolling...

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The shape of the leaked iPhone bezel seems like it might possibly support this configuration. Hopefully it's not too distracting in real-world use.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dirt would get between it and the bezel and make it unusable after a few months.

Think Mighty Mouse tracksphere.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think you are right. If so, the whole screen will be shifted about 1 cm upwards. But, would that still allow any room at the bottom for gestures? Or, the screen will become bigger and there will be no dedicated "gesture" area.

12. kisbys macrumors regular

Hate to ask when the whole screen is set up for gestures what is the point in having a second gesture area that doesn't utilise screen space????

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

For times when you'd like to, say, scroll the screen without your finger covering what you're trying to read.

It could be useful.

How is it functionally much different from the current home button, besides naturally sporting a much larger border?

I have plenty of devices with such buttons that have set to cease functioning. My Macbook Pro trackpad, for one.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Good point. So either new bezel is completely wrong or larger screen is coming.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The current home button can't get dirt in the gap... because there isn't one.

16. kisbys macrumors regular

I agree it could be useful but technicaly speaking seems to me for a very small amount of times that you would use it it would add way too much bulk, use up too much space and frankly if they put a bigger screen in it would be be less complicated for the engeniers probably cheaper in the end and you could give users the option.

Plus the main arguement against it is that it would be a major step back. the whole point of the iphone is its screen and what multitouch brought compared to touch screens of old... to put this in would be like apple saying multitouch was a mistake...

17. kisbys macrumors regular

not true the old ipod mkIII had totally capacitive buttons and you could use them to reset the device...

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No comment on my Macbook Pro touchpad? That's what this rumor is most likely to resemble.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've never had a dirt problem with mine in the least...

Of course, I'm never dirty when I'm at a computer, so... disgustingly... I may not represent the majority of users.

20. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

unless.....

apple think the new iPhone will be soooooo great it never needs to be hard reset.
    Highly unlikely

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You find me a computer that never needs a hard reset.

22. kisbys macrumors regular

How could you say that my vista pc is so wonderfully reliable it never needs restarting!!!! having said that since the windows 7 RC came allong had a few services getting stuck and needing 100% processing power other than that haven't had a single problem quite impressed especially for a RC

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

A finite state machine usually doesn't need to be rebooted :D

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I liked 7 a lot until the RC caused my Macbook Pro to randomly lock up. Must be the Boot Camp drivers.

I might build a PC later this year running 7, though. That's how highly I think of it.

25. kisbys macrumors regular

quite like it apart from the the occasional service getting locked into a feed back loop and taking up 100% of processor power... quite easy to solve though (after the first time it happened when I didn't know what was wrong and almost threw the pc out the window in frustration!!!!!)