Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photobiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I haven't seen this described anywhere so...

- Open Safari on the iPhone
- Visit a page with some margins, like most pages have (the pictures below were taken with http://news.yahoo.com and http://dpreview.com)
- Tap-and-hold inside the margin, the screen is dimmed
- Hold your finger perfectly still for 2 seconds
==> An "Action" popup menu appears

I did not get the "Action" popup to do anything but it sure looks like the prototype of a UI that could be used for copy/paste. Maybe one of you will find a way to associate an actual action to it?

On some pages where the margin is fairly narrow (like the left margin of dpreview.com), you have to tap completely to the left of the screen, maybe with half the finger out of the screen.

Here are the pictures....

Attachments

• iphone-action-popup.jpg
    iphone-action-popup.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,064

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not working for me. Maybe because I've updated to 1.0.2? What version of iPhone software are you running?

I can reproduce it on iPhone 1.0.2. I have to hit the very edge of the physical screen for it to happen

arn

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
What's interesting to me is that it happens on "blank" portions of the web interface.

I think this is probably going to develop into options similar to what you get if you right click on blank portions of a web browser on a destkop? Maybe even cool options like "take a screenshot and save to photos".

CyberGeek

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I'm afraid there's nothing special about it, and it existed since the iPhone came out.

With the iPhone web browser, if you press and hold on a link you will eventually see one of those bubbles telling you the url that the link points to. If an element has a Javascript event rigged up to occur on click, you will get the word "Action" instead of a URL.

Basically, that bubble is just letting you know that the space you're clicking on is set up to perform some sort of Javascript event if you click it.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
After much tapping, I finally got it to work on news.yahoo.com. Haven't had any luck on other sites. My finger is now numb from repetitive tap syndrome.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Yeah, I remember a post on MR way back in the day (1.0.0), and I was able to get it to work on google news, so it's been there all along. I always wondered if it was a copy / paste, etc... (right click stuff) that wasn't ready for prime time so was cut, but somehow slipped in under certain situations.

Paul

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
It might be one of those google analytics click overlays where site admins can view heatmaps of where people are clicking on their sites. Clicking somewhere on the page triggers a javascript function which maps out the location of the click, so the 'Action' is triggered.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I understand some here are saying that it's pretty much the same function that occurs when holding on a link. but it's curious that the word is "action" implying just that. I'm having trouble swallowing the javascript explanation for the "action" pop up. But that maybe due to my lack of in depth working knowledge in javascript and html.

smccostlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
San Jose, CA
I think this is something that is completely overlooked, and everyone will be surprised when apple comes back and fixes the problem by adding some new stuff that no-one ever imagined (which apple tends to do all the time).

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Perhaps this is something that will have a use for copy/paste or saving pictures from safari to the iPhone in the near future.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I'm afraid there's nothing special about it, and it existed since the iPhone came out.

With the iPhone web browser, if you press and hold on a link you will eventually see one of those bubbles telling you the url that the link points to. If an element has a Javascript event rigged up to occur on click, you will get the word "Action" instead of a URL.

Basically, that bubble is just letting you know that the space you're clicking on is set up to perform some sort of Javascript event if you click it.

If this is the case then maybe there is an onload event handler on the body of the page, Javascript this is.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The iPhone has always done this in Safari for me. For example, if you do it over a link, it will display the URL.

I do recall seeing "Action" before and just thought the page was messed up.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
This is a lame article (and yet here I am posting a reply). I do think it is related to javascript, as I've come in contact with it myself when adding javascript events to elements in my iPhone apps. Specifically, I was trying to get the focus function to actually work (I can see why they disabled it for browsing, but it would be really useful for web apps). I'm still bitter about this lame lame solution for 3rd party apps.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
go to a news site click and hold on a link... it pops up with the name of the link.

Yeah. Like it was brought up in the article. :rolleyes:

"Note that this shouldn't be confused with pressing-and-holding on links in Safari which has long been known to bring up the target of the link..."

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
This is a lame article (and yet here I am posting a reply). I do think it is related to javascript, as I've come in contact with it myself when adding javascript events to elements in my iPhone apps. Specifically, I was trying to get the focus function to actually work (I can see why they disabled it for browsing, but it would be really useful for web apps). I'm still bitter about this lame lame solution for 3rd party apps.

I think this is a representation of how pathetic some iPhone news is. We want to talk about it so much, but we run out of things to say because Apple hasn't given us very much.

photobiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I think this is a representation of how pathetic some iPhone news is. We want to talk about it so much, but we run out of things to say because Apple hasn't given us very much.

"mozmac", given your username I thought you could see why an event handler attached to the Canvas in the UA stylesheet (which is probably what we see here) could have interesting ramifications. :)

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
as others have said, safari has displayed this behavior since the iphone came out. It typically happens when you touch javascript links. I noticed it after someone pointed out that holding down a link shows a popup with the URL. So I did this on as many links as possible and saw the "Action" popup.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Does not work on a blank page

I tested this on a blank web page and there was no "action" popup. This confirms that it is not the same function as a right/control click in a blank section of a web page.

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
which way?

For some reason i cant get it to pop up in portrait view, but as soon as i flip it to landscape, it pops up, anybod else experience this?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.