Iphone SAR Exposure Unsafe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by engaged44, Jun 2, 2011.

1. engaged44 macrumors member

So I hopped on to cnet.com today and read this article talking about the SAR levels and how much is safe and what isn't.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20068082-266.html?tag=topStories2

interestingly i saw one of the comments that a user posted saying that in the iphone manual it says it MAY be unsafe when the phone is touching your body and it might EXCEED SAR levels.

here is the comment-

"I was bothered by this line from the iPhone manual, which basically indicates that in order for the phone to meet the FCC SAR guidelines, it can't touch your body. I don't know too many people who hold the phone away from their heads when they talk. "For body-worn operation, iPhone's SAR measurement may exceed the FCC exposure guidelines if positioned less than 15 millimeters (0.63 inch) from the body." (See page 8 of the manual online: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_Product_Info_Guide.pdf)"

what do you guys think? i'm not trying to spread fear, i'm just concerned as much as any other caring human being. :eek:

2. RebeccaL, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

All phones are tested for SAR when body worn not touching the body. It is not iphone specific. The tests are standard and all phones get tested at the same distances.

And as long as the SAR is less than 1.6W/kg it is safe. The SAR rating is mainly used due to concern of dielectric heating and not radiation exposure. The low levels of radiation produced by phones are not dangerous.

3. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Ever played Fallout? THAT's when you'll have to worry about radiation exposure, not from some measly cell phone.

I do admit, when I held my EVO my hands would tingle a bit, never felt that with any other phones I used.

Every one of us is in some sort of contact with low level radiation at any point in the day. I wouldn't be too concerned. :p

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

It would be cool to have a PIP interface on the iPhone that would show you your HP and how much radiation you're exposed to... :)

5. seble macrumors 6502a

Maybe I missed it, but I never read that in the guide itself. Seriously, all the good phones have a similarish SAR value anyway. If you want to avoid exposure to microwaves from a phone because your worried about it:
    stop browsing the net over 3g
    dont make calls when theres low bars
    and text rather then call sheesh.

Might be a good idea not to sleep with it under your pillow too...

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

To further allay fears, I should point out that the ability of your body to disperse the (very small amount of) heat is very good; the amount of excess heat from a cell phone is 1/10th (or less) the amount of simply standing in the sun.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Everyone is crazy:p Microwave radiation is non-ionizing and the research that suggest it may cause cancer is weak at best. Even if you got a sector antenna (directional antenna like on cell sites, focuses the beam of the signal like a laser pointer, depending on the antenna the angle can be <10° to 180°, cell towers usually have 3 120° sector's), aimed it at your head and jacked the mWatts's up a ton you'd be hard pressed to "get cancer". Honestly I just have a hard time believing it but your not going to see me with my iPhone duck taped to my head or crotch anytime soon.

Oh yeah and this is coming from someone who has exceeded the amount of radiation considered healthy from so many X-rays to the point where I technically shouldn't even walk through the airport security ones...:eek::eek:

EDIT: Random note I do have a "radiation suit" in my basement rated to block gamma radiation equipped with the oxygen tank as well! No lie a $900 value was going to be thrown away until my dad offered to take it off someone's hands! I think I'll just make ALL my phone calls from that suit :D

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No one even know what levels are safe. Do not trust the government to make this judgment for you. Everything electrical emits some radiation. There are thing you deal with every day that emit way more.:eek:

The facts show that there has been no corresponding increase in brain tumors or brain cancer with the increase of cell phone use in the USA. About every year or so this cell phone hysteria hit the news.:eek:

9. ikaveh, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

ikaveh macrumors regular

according to IEC standards the maximum of SAR for long time exposure is 2 W/Kg and for FCC standard its 1.6W/Kg. iphone 4 is under this, but as far as I remember iphone 3g had the highest SAR among all iphones having SAR around 1.39 W/kg. iphone 4 SAR is 1.17 W/kg