iphone says 4.1, Tiny says 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by limra, Jan 16, 2011.

1. limra macrumors newbie

Hello, first time poster, first time jailbreaker on my iPhone4. I used LimeRa1n, all seems to work properly. I used Tiny Umbrella to back up the blobs. Here's what I don't understand. I'm on firmware 4.1, but Tiny saved blobs with the name 4.2. Screenshots from the Finder, Cydia, and my Setting panel on the iPhone, as well as a screenshot from Tiny.

photo.PNG

cyd.PNG

file screen shot.png

tiny screenshot.png

2. adster macrumors regular

That's because you can no longer save blobs from 4.1, only 4.2.1. Tiny says you've saved 4.2 because the only one available to save right now.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^ Yup. As I found out recently, doesn't matter what firmware your currently on. The only SHSH's you can save are the ones that are currently available to you at the time.

4. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Has nothing to do with your current software version. You can no longer get an SHSH for 4.1 because Apple is no longer signing for that version.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You will be saving the Blobs that Apple is currently saving no matter what firmware your phone is running, you cannot longer save the SHSH for 4.1 (even when you are running it on your phone) since Apple is no longer signing those, All Apple is signing right now is 4.2.1 (and that's what you got)

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Does no one read the responses to the original question before posting anymore. The original question was answered ten minutes after posting but that did not stop three more responses all with the same answer.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like said above.
    It doesnt matter what firmware you're on, if you dont get your shsh's on time Apple stops releasing them.
    You're stuck with 4.2.1 and above blobs only.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

It actually doesn't matter what firmware your device is running, Tiny can only save firmware Apple is currently signing.

9. limra thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, don't think I understand. Please keep in mind I'm a newb. If Tiny didn't back up 4.1 blobs, then how can I restore my original 4.1 firmware if I later want to go back? Also, where did Tiny get the 4.2 blob? I thought my device would have the 4.1 blobs.

10. Eleonardo macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation, the answer to your first question is that you can't. You missed the window of opportunity when Apple was signing 4.1 shsh blobs.

The blobs are retrieved from Apple's servers and it has nothing to do with what firmware your device is currently running.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the blobs that get saved are not based on the fw running on the iPhone, but the fw that apple is currently running on their servers when you start saving them, in your case the only one that was running was 4.2, so you can't go down to 4.1 anymore.

12. limra, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

limra thread starter macrumors newbie

This blob thing is pretty confusing. I thought the blobs were on my device. Can someone give me an explanation of what exactly is going on when blobs are "saved?"

[edit] Thanks Carlanga for answering my last question.

So since I have the 4.2 blobs, does that mean I will always be able to restore to 4.2? Pretty soon a new firmware will be out. Is there someway to save those blobs too, allowing me to go back to either 4.2 *or* the new firmware (4.3?,) at a later date?

I just used LimeRa1n to break my phone. Is there a way to ensure that I can always go back to this jailbreak build I'm currently running, in case something goes wrong?

Thx...

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to initiate a blob request to Cydia. You either do it through Cydia or Tiny Umbrella. The basic explanation is that saurik puts in a request to apple's servers for these blobs. He can only do so many per day, which is why it takes a few days for your request to go through.
    With a blob of 4.2.1, you will always be able to restore to that firmware. From now on, all your blobs above 4.2.1 will be saved; you no longer have to ask.
    You can't go back to 4.1, because you don't have the blob saved for it. There's no getting around that.

14. limra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation. So really what you're doing is saving THE blob for the firmware you're running, (if available) not YOUR own blobs. He's pulling these files off of Apple's server. Ok, think I understand that. Now that I've jailbroken using LimeRa1n, should I backup my phone or something so I can always go back to the state it's now in? LimeRa1n isn't really a cooked firmware, right? When I first attempted the jailbreak, I couldn't get the other two methods to work, the one in which you cook your own firmware. I kept getting some error code, which when I looked it up, said it was some kind of USB error. LimeRa1n is a different kind of exploit, right?

I was just reading another post where it was recommended that one back up their baseband, as Apple is now signing those. I think I read that the other jailbreak method would preserve my baseband, and that it was required if you have an unlocked phone. I use ATT, so I didn't think that mattered. Will this LimeRa1n jailbreak be the best thing going forward, or should I have done one of the other methods? Is there a way to go back now? I guess not, huh, since you said I can't go back to 4.1, and the 4.2 breaks are still tethered.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't know that there's necessarily a way to backup so you can stay on 4.1, except via the blobs. Starting with the 3GS, Apple put security measures into place that require verification of your phone and what iOS it's using. Without these blobs, itunes will give you an error when you try to install anything except what it is signing for. The blobs allow you to get around that verification.
    For example, because I have the SHSH blob for 4.0.2, I can use tiny umbrella to fool the apple server into thinking that I'm authorized to install 4.0.2 on my phone. Without the blob, I can only install whatever is the latest official OS.
    There are others who can tell you the pros and cons of using each jb method; I've only used redsnow and pwnage for my 3G and iphone 4, respectively. I used pwnage, because I needed to preserve the 1.59 bb and still be able to use 4.1. If I jb 4.1 without the custom firmware created by pwnage, it would've been harder to keep an unlockable bb.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You may want to take a look at this thread:

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

SHSHs are a series of files with extension .shshs that contained an encrypted signature. Apple server are the only one who have the right keys to sign such files, and Apple only sign SHSHs that are belong to the current firmware being release (not the firmware your phone is running or te firmware you tell it to, Only the newest and fresh firmware). These files are NOT pull of the Apple server, this Files are created on the fly, Apple server "sign" the files.

What Cydias does is "Emulate" your phone (using the information you provided using Tiny Umbrella or from Cydia) plus iTunes and request this signatures files for you.

You are too late to save 4.1 SHSHs (even when you are running it), you cannot longer restore to 4.1 anymore if you ever need to restore all you can do is go to 4.2.1, there is NO WAY to do it, Apple hold the "keys" and they and only them can sign those files, and they decided that 4.1 is no anymore.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes and no, he is pulling them from apple servers but using your unique phone's ID to request and save them so you can then use it in his server, which is why they are iPhone specific and only will work w/ your iPhone only.