Iphone scams?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duskandsummer, Oct 22, 2009.

1. duskandsummer macrumors member

I need help, I currently have T-Mobile and have been dieing for the iphone 3g..(like every other person on earth) Lol My question is I need to know whether I am being scammed or not, and a few other questions I have.

1. I found a guy selling iphone 3g 8gb for 349.99 unlocked and jailbroken. I tested it out for like a minute or two, I am not very tech savy so I really didn't know what I was suppose to be looking for. It looked like everything was working, I just want to know what else should I look for to see if I am being scammed and could he have downloaded something to take my information? Oh I forgot to mention he operates from a store, those random wireless stores around town.

2. If I don't buy the phone with this guy..I was thinking about having my aunt upgrade her phone on at&t and then giving her iphone to me and finding someone to unlock/jailbreak it. I just don't want her to end up with that data plan, can she say she didn't like the phone and they take the data plan off?

This is all I want to know for now!! Thanks to everyone who replies to this! lol

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Dying*

He cant take your info...hows that even possible if you were using his phone? To make sure its unlocked, insert your non AT&T sim and see if you can call / text.

Its damn near impossible to not have a data plan. I STILL dont understand why people try so hard to get a phone without it. Just get an iPod touch...

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

So... you are objecting to a possible scam by some guy in a shady store... while you are trying to convince your aunt to scam AT&T so you can have the phone for cheap?

Scamming others is wrong, right?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    1. If you are getting it from a store it's probably fine. There is really no software he could use to steal your info, don't worry. Just put your sim card in it, and see if it gets signal.

2. You are using T-Mobile, you don't have to have a data plan even if you get the phone from a relative like that. You can choose whatever/if any data plan.

5. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

Psh At&t scam innocent people everyday with their ridiculous phone bills for their spotty service and selling their phones ridiculously overpriced. I think they have it coming. I really hope Apple starts using their noggin and takes the opportunity that the contract is expiring and end this stupid exclusive thing they have going on. Apple would be unstoppable if they were on T-mobile along with At&t.

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

How is he trying to have his aunt scam att? If she upgrades to iPhone she is still locked into a new contract so where is the scam? She can do what she wants with her new iphone, give it to him, destroy it, sit it on a shelf and never use it. If she's not using the iPhone, she doesn't have to pay the data plan.

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

The one thing to be aware of is that a jailbroken and unlocked phone cannot be updated in the future in the usual way. As soon as you allow iTunes to update it in the future you will lose the jailbreak and the unlock.

It is likely to be on superseded software already, so every time you connect to iTunes it will nag you to update. And there is already a pretty large number of people who have posted to this forum saying basically "I stupidly updated by mistake, what can I do?".

To have the iPhone on T-Mobile, and to keep it up to date with future software releases, means you will have to learn about things like Pwnage tool, custom ipsw files, DFU mode, recovery mode, restoring your settings, etc etc.

I'm not saying don't do it, but you need to be pretty tech-savvy to cope with it all. Do yourself a favour and read all the threads on this forum that have content such as "updated and now can't get T-Mobile service", or "get 1600 error trying to update" or even "phone is slow and laggy after jailbreaking". Be sure that you really want to get into that world before you buy the phone........

An alternative, which would cost you quite a bit more, is to buy a "factory unlocked" iPhone on the internet, when none of what I've said above is true. But the danger is getting scammed by the sellers on the internet, so it's best to buy from a very high-rated seller!

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I understand what you are saying, and why. It's called rationalization, the process whereby you justify doing something that ordinarily you would not agree with. "Just this once", or "in this special case", it becomes OK.

You are saying that because AT&T (whose service you do not have yourself) is of such poor quality, they deserve to be cheated, just this once, and you somehow deserve to be the beneficiary of it.

You really don't believe that, but you really really want the iPhone. Lust overcoming ethics. Happens all the time.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

How, you ask? This:

The way I read it, that's getting his aunt to tell someone else a lie in order to break a contract. A contract that includes a data plan.

Unless, of course, you feel that AT&T "has it coming". That makes it all right....?

10. Future2001 macrumors member

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, if you are starting from 3.0.

3.1.2 already installed? No.

12. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Well, you're 'reading' it wrong then. Features are NOT held by contract. You can add/remove features at anytime. The only exception is when a feature is required by the cellular device, not the contract. So, in the case of the iPhone, the data plan is required when the phone is on the account. However, if you take the phone off the account, then that feature can be removed with no problem. What if you had an iPhone, dropped it and it broke. You don't have the money to pay to replace it so you throw your sim card in and old flip phone for the remainder of your contract. Do you really except to have to pay the $30/month for a data plan you can't use? No, that's completely asinine.

Now quit bashing the OP and find something better to do.

13. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Blah, me china and I were having a bowler about whether to j/b or not...guess not eh?

14. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

The only thing I am worried about having on the iphone is MMS that just came out. As long as I can use the internet, text, call, MMS, listen to music and have helpful apps I am great that is all I am looking to get from the iPhone. I myself do not know how to jailbreak or unlock for all that stuff I would be taking it to a professional. I just really want to know if its going to be worth before I spend the money. But thank you I will read those posts!

15. Badfoot macrumors 6502

M A B It's A Big Horse ...

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Oh dear. Speaking of 'reading', here is an interesting snippet from http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp which might be useful:

If you have an iPhone from AT&T, you are required to have a data plan. It's in the contract. Read it. If you don't like it or agree with it, don't enter into the contract.

I am not bashing you or the OP at all. I'm simply pointing out things you don't like.

17. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes but if the aunt was to give/sell the iPhone (what the OP is suggesting) and longer uses the device, she is not obligated to the data plan

18. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

But isn't she still obligated under the terms of the original contract? If she got the phone subsidized, she must abide by the terms of the contract, pay the ETF, or give the phone back. At least, that's my understanding. If you have text which shows different, I'd like to see it...

19. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Maybe it's a big horse who?

20. Konz macrumors regular

Yeah $200 is ridiculous for a phone that costs roughly $600 to manufacture. They're making like -$400 on that deal, WHAT A RIPOFF.

I hope you get scammed. If you can't actually afford an iPhone with AT&T you're probably just some poor wannabe living beyond his means anyway.

21. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes she is still obligated to her contract, but his is only for voice service, not features(data/text/etc). Nowhere does it say if a device is no longer used, you still have to pay for those features
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

22. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I know, right! :rolleyes:

I mean, $200 + $30 (24) = 920. THAT'S SUCH A RIPOFF!!! And that $720 is required, unlike other phones!

That's such a ripoff!

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Justification doesn't follow, sorry. Here is, in essence, what you are arguing (by analogy): Banks scam people everyday by low interest rates and unfair service charges, therefore I can rob a bank. Failed argument.

25. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

FailBreaking, I call it. I kinda despise the developers who's app target is Cydia... lame.