iPhone screen - bad Apples

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robertma1, Sep 29, 2007.

1. robertma1 macrumors member

Short story:
    4 bad iPhones
    AT&T points at Apple
    Apple points at AT&T
    Consumer is out money
    Update* Apple helps get consumers money back from AT&T
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 3:
    I contacted AT&T this afternoon because my plan online still stated I had an iPhone. I provided all the information and said my plan needs to be moved to the media net unlimited. The rep read notes on the account and inquired more about what happened. I stated that Apple said ATT shouldnt have charged for under 14 day exchages and they were investigating on why it occured. She ended up crediting my AT&T account all of the restocking fees effective 1 month after (so I can't cancel).

I was misblaming Apple. I guess it was AT&T forcing this the entire time. Either way, Apple should put out an official page on their website stating the 14 day AT&T exchange policy.

UPDATE 2:
    An Apple rep contacted me today. She was very nice and said AT&T shouldn't be doing this for exchanges before 14 days. I let her know I returned the last one and am just relieved it's over. She is going to look into getting my restocking fees refunded. I also let her know an AT&T rep was doing the same from the last store.

No matter how it turns out now I am just so relieved to not be trying to get the thing switched. If I end up paying one restock fee that is fine, if they can't do anything on the others also thats fine Did I say I was relieved it was over? lol

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

Because I wanted a new phone, not a refurb.

I actually did call them tonight. I sat on hold for 20 minutes when it stated 5 minutes in the beginning. I finally hung up, called back and they were closed.

Also, AT&T didn't mention apple care to me nor is the number posted in the packaging that I could find. I got the number from the website but I had heard of it before so could have sooner.

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I find that a lot of people with these types of problems don't know how to deal with customer service or have very bad luck. I'm not judging whether you fall in either one of these categories but, I've learned that you need to go directly to someone who has authority on the matter. The Genius Bar would have been your best bet from the beginning and they will never charge you a restocking fee if it is defective.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

There will always be bad units, that is just something that happens with mass production.

:rolleyes:

just call applecare monday (I dont even know if they are open on sundays)

everything will be worked out!

6. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

I have an appointment with the Applestore tomorrow (Sunday). I hope they can work it out. If I have to get a "replacement" phone I'd prefer to inspect it rather than have one shipped that has the same problem.

7. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

Bad luck is the only luck I know :)

I am going to the genius bar for the first time tomorrow. 2 reasons I held out, 100 miles round trip and refurb phone as a replacement. After having 4 bad retail phones a refurb doesn't sound as bad as it did in the beginning.

Even if everything is perfect, it still does not excuse apple for this policy. It is a shameful tactic to charge a restocking fee on a defective product where it is purchased. Something really should be done about this.

8. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

I just got back home. 4 and a half hours later and without a satisfying resolution.

Short story- The Apple store saw the problem and offered a replacement phone. I looked over two replacement phones. Both had a grid of dots up, down, and across with the brightness on high. I pointed it out and they said it was supposed to be that way. I took them to a display on their tables and said this one doesn't have it. Response was different LCD company. Seems to me someone else wouldn't have liked the dots and returned it or apple is unloading production issues on replacements.

I asked for a new one. They said no ATT has to do it. I informed them of ATT restocking fees and they claim it is not supposed to be that way. He told me to go back to the ATT store and have them call him. I knew he was just trying to get rid of me and after driving an hour and half with traffic to Virginia Beach I was tired. I made a scene on my way out and shouldn't have. I didn't curse but did say very loud, almost shouting "All iphones have bad screens." I am embarrassed to have done that but being tired and worn down it happened.

On the way back I stopped at the ATT store and told them Apples response. They said their computers cannot even do a return without the restocking fee and Apple requires it. Apple points at them, they point at Apple. Nice. I returned the phone, ate $40 and am done with them.

The ATT rep is looking into crediting me all of my restocking fees but I am not crossing my fingers. Unlike every one else I actually like ATT and never had a problem with them until now.

9. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Have you tried new 1.1.1 firmware? It fixes white dot problem.

10. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

An Apple rep contacted me tonight. She was very nice and said AT&T shouldn't be doing this for exchanges before 14 days. I let her know I returned the last one and am just relieved it's over. She is going to look into getting my restocking fees refunded. I also let her know an AT&T rep was doing the same from the last store.

No matter how it turns out now I am just so relieved to not be trying to get the thing switched. If I end up paying one restock fee that is fine, if they can't do anything on the others also thats fine :) Did I say I was relieved it was over? lol

11. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE 3:
    I contacted AT&T this afternoon because my plan online still stated I had an iPhone. I provided all the information and said my plan needs to be moved to the media net unlimited. The rep read notes on the account and inquired more about what happened. I stated that Apple said ATT shouldnt have charged for under 14 day exchages and they were investigating on why it occured. She ended up crediting my AT&T account all of the restocking fees effective 1 month after (so I can't cancel).

I was misblaming Apple. I guess it was AT&T forcing this the entire time. Either way, Apple should put out an official page on their website stating the 14 day AT&T exchange policy.