Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hello, i am new to these forums and am not very technically minded. I have an iPhone 3GS which is just over a year old now and after many months i have finally dropped it and the screen has cracked significantally. If i take it to the apple store near me what solutions would they give me - or would they not be able to help at all? It is also out of warranty. Thanks in advance :)

RonYosafi

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Socal
depends, is the inner screen cracked too?

If it is or isnt, they would fix it for $199

if it is they would replace the phone
If its only the glass, they will replace the screen.

If only the glass is broken you can have it fixed online or look for a store online for usually $70-80

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
depends, is the inner screen cracked too?

If it is or isnt, they would fix it for $199

if it is they would replace the phone
If its only the glass, they will replace the screen.

If only the glass is broken you can have it fixed online or look for a store online for usually $70-80

Hey thankyou for the promt reply... but how do i tell if the inner screen has cracked? sorry im not very technological lol

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
Hello, your inner screen is actually your lcd, you have to parts the digitizer witch is the outer screen, and controls the touch and you have your lcd where the picture is shown. If the picture looks distorted or you have some black spots then your lcd is damaged to. i would do a internet search for iphone repair in your area. it would be allot cheaper then taking it to apple. if it is the outer screen just the digitizer, maybe $50 to replace it.

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hello, your inner screen is actually your lcd, you have to parts the digitizer witch is the outer screen, and controls the touch and you have your lcd where the picture is shown. If the picture looks distorted or you have some black spots then your lcd is damaged to. i would do a internet search for iphone repair in your area. it would be allot cheaper then taking it to apple. if it is the outer screen just the digitizer, maybe $50 to replace it.

Hello. There is not distortion on the screen however above the screen where the phone speaker is - parts of the chipset show.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
Hello. There is not distortion on the screen however above the screen where the phone speaker is - parts of the chipset show.

That's the $199 fix. You should check and see if you are elgible for a fully subsidized iPhone 4. If so, it's the same price for a 16GB model.

RonYosafi

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Socal

I cracked both inner and outer and asked for pricing. its same price for inner or outer 199

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hello, thank you all for your help. However, I think it is time to move on and upgrade to the iPhone 4 - as with the intestine you of my 3GS I feel that it is on it's last legs. Thank you anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.