Iphone screen..Does it scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Sep 17, 2008.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I'm curious how the scratch resist the Iphone screen is. Everyone says it's fine cause it's "glass" but in all seriousness, how protective is it? I see everyone buying cases without any screen coverage and it makes no since to me. To me, the screen is the one part in-which you should take care of.

Any input would rock, thanks.

Josh

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It can and you should protect it buy placing it in a pocket all by itself. Yes it is glass and like any other piece of glass, it can scratch.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Hard to cover and protect the screen too much since you've got to be able to touch it of course.

I use a static cling shield (Power Support crystal iPhone screen film). They last a long time and seem to do the job - appears to prevent minor nicks and scratches, though I have not done a controlled study (i.e., put an iPhone without a screen protector in my pocket for a year and see what happens).

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yup, I scratched the heck out of an iPod touch's screen by accidentally putting the iPod in a breast pocket with my titanium Oakleys and the holding my son. Oops.

I'd highly recommend either the crystal or the anti-glare film from Power Support!

5. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

you can take a key to the screen and it wont scratch, really the only thing that can scratch it is sand and diamonds. I have had mine in my pocket with just about anything you can name and it didnt scratch. I did go golfing one day and there are little pits where my case was comvering my screen from sand. Glass can scratch glass as well.

6. Rootman macrumors 6502

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL!

The wifey's first generation iPhone has rattled around in her purse since release and it is fine. A guy I work with has a scratch on his and thinks his kid dropped or rubbed it on ceramic tile. I don't believe in screen protectors but I bought one of the mirrored ones 'cause it looked cool. :D

These forums are filled with people who scratched their screens. And by scratch, I think a lot are pitted from impact. Not necessarily a long thin scratch.

8. CoreyHM1 macrumors member

I had mine a week, the day i was leaving to go pick up some screen protectors, i scratched it. You know what with?? the apple cleaning cloth :mad: (it must of had some grit on it) :mad:

I suggest a screen protector!

9. eff pc macrumors regular

i can assure you, the screen protectors mentioned worked brilliantly! my iphone while playing basketball went sliding across a wood gym floor screen side against the floor for about 30 or 40 feet (it fell out of my case and the thing was going pretty fast). picked it up...i truly thought the screen was cracked, thats how bad it looked. scratches all over the thing. took it home, removed the screen protector, brand new iphone underneath. i was amazed. it comes in a two pack so i put the other one on since the first one was destroyed. well worth the investment!

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've had my iPhone since the launch and the screen is still completely free of scratches on the screen. My iPhone has never seen any cases other than an iPod softcase that it sits in while it is in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about scratching the screen unless you plan on abusing it.

11. Knolly macrumors 6502a

It is made of diamond.

The hardest metal known to man.

But seriously, it CAN but if you treat it well it's unlikely. It's made of tempered glass, aka the glass in your cars windshield and such... It's damn sturdy. If you're like me and don't put anything else in the same pocket as your phone you don't need any sort of protector for it.

12. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Most keys are made from aluminum or brass. Glass is harder than those metals. But some metals are harder than glass and so is anodized aluminum.

Also sand and grit from blowing dust are harder than glass. So wiping your screen could cause scratches.

It's best to think of glass as scratch resistant rather than scratch-proof. To do better than that we need sapphire like the new Leica M8 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091503leica_m82.asp) :) :)

Greg

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

14. Knolly macrumors 6502a

See:

15. tatts187 macrumors newbie

My first iPhone I was amazed at how easy it was to scratch the glass. I am now on my 4th iPhone and the only thing that I do protect is the screen with a crystal screen protector. The anti-glare ones work but makes your screen look extremely dull in color. Besides the glass, a few scratches on the phone itself put hair on your chest and make you look like a man or woman. :D

16. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

riiiigggghhhtttt

17. ~Phi macrumors regular

The screen is pretty tough. The other weekend I was at a strip club with a stripper sitting on my leg (basically right on top of my brand new 3g). I thought for sure the screen was going to be cracked due to the pressure but it ended up being fine. I didn't have a case on it either.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no materiel of any kind that can't be scratched.

19. Leney macrumors member

I never put a screen protector on my first generation phone. For almost a year, it it was scratch free. But eventually a long one appeared that might've been caused by placing it with my keys. I regretted never putting a film on that phone. I put a film on my 3G the day I bought it.