iPhone screen durability over the years

TorontoSS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hi there,

This is a general question out there more out of interest.

For those of you who have had iPhones over time, do you see a difference over time with screen durability?
For example, if you've never used a screen protector, have there been fewer scratches on your 6 compared to the 5, or 6s compared to the 6? (I understand it's only been a month for those with 6s's).

Was just wondering.

My first iPhone was the 4s. I has scratches on it, and my 5s had a screen protector. My 6 has some scratches on the sides.

Isamilis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
My 4s with 4.5 years usage is fine without screen protector (micro scratch even not visible). I am not sure for 6s, but I heard the material is less-scratch resistant compared to 4s.

Hi there,

This is a general question out there more out of interest.

For those of you who have had iPhones over time, do you see a difference over time with screen durability?
For example, if you've never used a screen protector, have there been fewer scratches on your 6 compared to the 5, or 6s compared to the 6? (I understand it's only been a month for those with 6s's).

Was just wondering.

My first iPhone was the 4s. I has scratches on it, and my 5s had a screen protector. My 6 has some scratches on the sides.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
My iPhone 2G was naked always. Never used a screen protector or a case. Not one scratch neither on the screen or back side. My 3G and 3GS had minor scratches on the bezels. iPhone 4 and onwards I found myself always using a screen protector.

The 6 Plus scratched easily for me. Thankfully I just used it for video recording while travelling.

lamborghini392

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
My old iPhone 5C screen never had any problems with scratching (the plastic body is another story...), but it was dropped A LOT with no case on it. It somehow fell 8-9ft with no case while I was on a ladder and didn't crack. But as it got older I assume the glass accumulated micro-fractures and eventually the screen cracked (by cracked I mean spider webs everywhere) after falling 20 inches off a chair onto a wood floor, figures.

TorontoSS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Very interesting - so it appears based on your responses that the screens are less durable with regards to scratches but I am assuming more durable with regards to cracks?

Anyone else?