Iphone Screen faulty - Glass part HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TINCAN78, Mar 7, 2008.

1. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

So i have a 7 day old 16gb iphone, purchased in store brand new... from apple store......

Looking at the screen with the button to the bottom, the bottom left hand corner of the screen has started to have an annoying small click each time i press it to activate something. I have it unlocked being used on 02 so just popping back into the store i got it from is not an option is it ?

When i look at the iphone very close up and press the screen slightly you can actually see the bottom corner of the screen move inwards into the actual phone casing......albeit very very slightly (like 1mm) but this is what is causing the clicking noise.....

Could anyone advise what i should do.....would i be able to save my contact/music tones etc , reset the iphone some way and take it back and not have any worry of them saying its been online sir and purchases itunes stuff so how comes its still locked etc

Also i have the invisible shield on it so i need to know can i take that off easy ?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I can't help you with the unlocked problem but I have heard that removing the IS can strip the SN and whatever other small print there is on the bottom rear of the phone. You may be able to prevent this by heating it slightly before removal. Just don't fry it! Good luck!

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is no print on the back of the iPhone, that is all engraved into the metal. As for taking it back, if you activated it on O2, all you should need to do is restore the Apple Firmware and take it into the store. The only problem would be if you unlocked it, then YOU broke the terms of purchase and activation, therefore it is now your problem.

TEG

4. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

I unlocked it to use a non iphone o2 contract. I thought I could re lock it and take it back ??

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You are right about it being engraved. However, notice the color difference. There is a thin layer of something to make it more visible. Removing the IS can strip that print making the engraving harder to read.

6. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

Shield came off ok slight bit of fade on text but not noticeable. So is there a way to relock so I can get it replaced??

7. cupofjoe macrumors regular

You are correct. I removed the back of my IS because it was causing issues, and the ink did come off. Not a large noticable amount, but it did come off.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What issues were you having? I've noticed a slight orange/brownish discoloration around the edges and the phone itself feels like it gets hot much faster after applying it.
    I thought about taking it off but you just can't beat the protection these things provide (to all: please don't respond by telling me BSE or BodyGuards or whatever other clear adhesive shields there are out there are better, thanks).

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just activate it with the official iPhone plan, that will make the Warranty valid. You could try to get it working, and if they say something, say you didn't understand that, and activate it correctly.

TEG

10. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

Taking out iphone contract is not an option as have 02 contract already !

I checked ziphone and it has an option to relock the iphone, reflash it etc....

Anyone done this and got one repaired/replaced.

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Update with the latest version in iTunes- that will take you back to original. Put the original sim in. Return to Apple store, and just tell them you have NOT activated yet.

12. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks willl try this. The screen clicking is getting worse so leaving it is not an option, it bad really the actual screen is moving when pressed, not sure how they are made but something hasn't been stuck right.....

:)

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I second this excellent advice. You have only had it a few days and you can say that you were about to activate it when you noticed what is obviously a manufacturing defect.

You should not have any problems at all.

14. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

For info, did as advised no problems, genius looked at it and swapped it for a brand new one straight away so all is good.....just got to reinstall all my music etc lol.....some reason itunes didn't do it lol...

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

congratulations! if it were you i would give the new phone a few days test phase before you unlock it again. you never know.

16. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

This is of course absolutely not true. There are no pre or post sale terms that are broken by unlocking the phone. In the iphones box is a copy of the warranty which makes no mention of activation or non unlocking as a precondition of the hardware warranty.

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Excellent news. Must be a weight off your shoulders.

Enjoy your brand new iPhone!

18. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers all , yep going to give it a few days before unlocking lol..... definately can sleep easy tonight............

Thanks again for everyones input :D