iPhone Screen Films

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martinmartin, Sep 12, 2007.

1. martinmartin macrumors 6502

My complaint with screen films seems to be an odd one.

My only experience is with Best Skins Ever on my old Blackberry Pearl. The application, fit, look, etc. didn't bother me.

What bothered me was the feel of the film up against my face/ear. Instead of 'sliding' smoothly, it felt tackier and almost dirty. I know this is strange, but the feeling is like nails on a chalkboard to me for some reason. So I took it off the screen of the blackberry and left it everywhere else (bottom, top, back).

Does anyone have any comments in this regard with all of the iphone screen protector options out there? Do any 'feel' better up against your face than the others? The few that I'm leaning toward are the Power Support Crystal and the Brando.

As for the back of the phone, I don't really care what it 'feels' like as that side doesnt touch my face. For the back, I'd be looking for all of the standard things - look and fit primarily. I'm not at all against buying 2 different sets to mix the best front with the best back.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

2. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

my suggestion

I cannot tell the difference between the glass screen and the crystal film for iphone they sell at the apple. it is literally indistinguishable to touch and looks. everyone i ever show it to doesnt know its there, and i can only tell myself when I look around the edges.
    I hope tht helps
    A

3. overcast macrumors 6502a

Well the difference is the feel of glass vs the feel of plastic. Plastic is going to feel tackier, that's the end of it. Honestly, I was going to get a film for my iphone when I got it. But the glass is so scratch resistant, that it's not even worth the money or the worrying. In my opinion, if something is sharp and hard enough to nick the glass, then a piece of plastic isn't going to stop it. Just look at how long windshields hold up, how many times have you gotten sand blasted on the highway or rocks jumping up. With MINIMAL to zero damage. I mean over the years, it gets nicked up, but those are extreme conditions for glass. Certainly nothing you are going to even notice, or will be putting your iphone through.

4. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

5. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

You will not notice the difference between the Power Support Crystal screen protector and the unprotected face of the phone. I was worried about this myself and was considering not using any kind of screen protection because I liked the way the optical glass felt. Now I forget it is even there. Now whatever you do don't get the Invisible Shield screen protector it is like you described very rubbery and sticky.

6. ps49556n macrumors regular

I have bought two packs of crystal film...each pack contains two screens. So far I have wasted three of them just trying to get them on. I do not think it is possible to get these on perfectly....no bubbles or dust under neath. Oh btw, they claim these are washable and reusable......totally untrue....when they get wet, the dust particles melt into the glue.....

The feel of them isnt bad but I cannot live with dust and little airbubbles.

7. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a consensus on the best film in terms of rear fit and clarity?

Cheers.

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Actually the Crystal Support film and the iPhone screen are made from very similar materials. Optical glass is made from polymers so it is essentially plastic. This is why no one can tell the difference between the two.

9. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I had the same problem you almost have to put the screen on in a clean room. They can be washed what you have to do is wash it off very thouroghly and then attach it to a glossy piece of paper or maybe wax paper to dry so it doesn't pick up anything while drying and I would let it dry overnight. I did eventually get mine on without any dust but I can say it wasn't easy.

10. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

uhm naw

i dont hold my phone to my face, i have a bluetooth.... i cant hear crap out that stuff when i hold it to my ear:rolleyes:

11. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

12. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone else find that the Power Support Crystal film feels the exact same against your face and ear as no film at all (bare glass)? No tacky or sticky or dirty feeling?

What films does everyone recommend for the back/sides/corners of the iPhone?

Cheers.

13. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I have the Power Support Crystal Film for the iPhone and it works just fine on my phone. Just go buy that. They give you two incase you screw up. And second, I don't know what people are saying about dust and air bubbles. I have NONE on mine. Best idea before putting this on would be to spray some LCD cleaner spray on a microfiber cloth and clean your iPhone throuougly before you put that film on.

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

apply it inside a large plastic bag so no dust particles float down while installing it.

Wait for the dust to settle inside the bag before exposing the film to air.