Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Not sure what’s going on with my iPhone X iOS 12 screen. Out of the blue it started to stop scrolling in Safari and would freeze. If I held my finger (not touching the screen) above the home screen over an App it would open the folder and random app next to it. On the Reddit App I could hold my finger over links without touching the screen and it would open links. This happened on and off over a few hours.

I restarted a few times and it worked ok then it would start up again. I’ve reset my modem and phone again and it’s working ok at the moment. Was my iPhone compromised in some way? I’ve never had this problem before. Or is my screen about to go? Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Not sure what’s going on with my iPhone X iOS 12 screen. Out of the blue it started to stop scrolling in Safari and would freeze. If I held my finger (not touching the screen) above the home screen over an App it would open the folder and random app next to it. On the Reddit App I could hold my finger over links without touching the screen and it would open links. This happened on and off over a few hours.

I restarted a few times and it worked ok then it would start up again. I’ve reset my modem and phone again and it’s working ok at the moment. Was my iPhone compromised in some way? I’ve never had this problem before. Or is my screen about to go? Any ideas? Thanks!
It’s a problem with your display registering ghost touches. Take it to an apple store to get the display replaced.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
It’s a problem with your display registering ghost touches. Take it to an apple store to get the display replaced.

Thanks Chazzle. That explains it. However, it is intermittent and can sometimes go for hours before it starts this behavior. And then when it starts it can randomly go away. I’m not sure how to get the Apple store to fix the display if it doesn’t display the problem when I schedule an appointment?

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Thanks Chazzle. That explains it. However, it is intermittent and can sometimes go for hours before it starts this behavior. And then when it starts it can randomly go away. I’m not sure how to get the Apple store to fix the display if it doesn’t display the problem when I schedule an appointment?

Almost for sure they run diagnostics and can tell if something is off.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Great, thanks everyone for your help. I’ll take it in, and let them figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.