iPhone Screen..just how smudge resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by christall109, Aug 29, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I am probably going to buy an iphone in the coming month (not unless the new ipod touch has wifi)..but I was wondering just how smudge resistant is the iphone's screen?

Also any advice for how/where/when to purchase the iphone?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It isn't very smudge resistant at all. However, the screen, even at half-brightness, is so bright that, when looking directly at it, all smudges are nearly invisible. Seriously.

3. Gibbons macrumors member

It's not very smudge resistant in my opinion. I agree with tobefirst ^^- the brightness really breaks through the gunk unless its really bad. This may not echo everyone's experience, but I've also found that my face causes worse smudges than my fingers. Maybe I just have a greasy face or something.

I love to have it clean though, so I'm always wiping it down. And I got this case, which can also be used to clean the screen, so I'm never in want of a cleaning cloth: iphone jacket

4. vinhmen macrumors newbie

Not only is it not smudge resistant, it could accurately be called a smudge magnet. However, the occasional wipedown is a small price to pay for the overall package.

5. unity macrumors 6502a

I used to clean my several times a day, now I go several days. It really is not bad at all.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I also agree with tobefirst's assessment.

It never stops to amaze me at how horribly smudged my iPhone can look like when it's turned off, but how the smudges all virtually disappear when I turn it back on. :)

7. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

That's what T-shirts are for. Mine looks like new in 2 swipes across my belly!
    :)

8. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice... you guys definitely helped... what about scratches?

I did see this video on youtube from pcworld

And is how excruciatingly slow is EDGE.. ive hear mixed reviews... like dial-up or slower?

(For instance how long does it take to load MacRumors... or using google maps?

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

EDGE depends on your area. In metro NY/NJ i have had some shockingly good speeds. Visiting a friend in Portland, ME I had terrible speeds. Oddly, in the Berkshires in MA I had faster speeds than NJ.

One more thing about the smudgies: I found that even though it is just as much of a smudge magnet, the "power support crystal screen protector" or whatever the hell its called that you get at the Apple Store is easier to clean free of smudges than the actual screen. So throw one of those puppies on there right away to help with the screen smudgies and to protect your screen. it also feels great to touch and does not hurt the multi touch at all.

10. rayward macrumors 68000

The screen is jsut plain glass, so it's pretty scratch resistant. However, I haven't trusted to luck, I got a screen cover that goes from top to bottom to protect the glass. It actually makes using the phone a little easier because it's not a slippery as the glass.

As for EDGE, I typically get speeds close to 200k, which is about average. It's fine. It's fast enough to not make browsing intolerable, and the web-based apps like weather, maps and stocks all work fine off EDGE.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The screen can scratch, search the various iPhone forums and you will see allot of people have had the screen get scratched. Also, there are many instances of the screen just plain breaking when dropped.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, there's nothing magical about the iPhone's glass screen that makes it totally scratch-proof or unbreakable.

IMO, it does a better job than most people expected it would.

13. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Not sure about the screen being smudge resistant but I use the black cloth that came with it and it works great :cool:

14. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

The best skin ever really reduces the smudges. I would use one for that reason alone.

15. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

I have a very oily skin (no am not a grease monkey) and I constantly nibble some finger food and am using the phone in between - oh yes, the glass looks smudged up when it is off, but all the smudges disappear when you are using - I have a feeling the smudges actually double as a "privacy screen"! So these days I "wipe it across my belly" only when I hand it over to others, so they get a chance to hold it and marvel at its beauty at stillness, even before they are wowed by the gorgeous screen and fast user interface.

Bottom line - I am quite surprised at how usable it is, with all the everyday smudges.

Edge is perfectly usable for getting urgent information - that cannot wait till you hit a wifi spot. In this category, only email and google maps come in for me - and they work fine while we are on the road.

16. overcast macrumors 6502a

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Dude, that was totally my response too. LOL.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYb0DYliDAU
    This video is accurate, with the exception that you DO NOT see these smudges until the screen is turned off. Otherwise, its pretty much dead on. Human beings are greasy creatures.

~ CB

18. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Get a crystal plastic cover for your screen and you'll be fi e. They work wonderfully.

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

The crystal plastic cover doesn't smudge :confused:

20. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

No, it smudges, but as others have said, you don't notice them at all due to the stunning level of brightness produced by the iPhone's screen. It definitely protects the entire glass surface from scratches, however. It's a pretty thick piece of plastic. I had to remove and re-apply mine once to get it perfect, and it leaves no residue so don't worry about that. Use the cloth included with your iPhone and you'll be fine.

21. yotaguy macrumors member

I live in tempe arizona and using my iphone while walking around outside creates some serious smudges and wetness on the phone.

sometimes the combo of the oil from my skin and sweat from my face gets so thick that the touchscreen stops working well.

Besides all of the grossness on my phone..it still looks good most of the time.

22. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

i say, if its that bad, use included headset. If not, do what I do...whip it off.

23. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

It smudges a good deal less easily, but it still does smudge. The protection also allows me to rub my phone against my jeans or anything else that I might have been scared to rub the glass directly on.

24. overcast macrumors 6502a

Denim is not harder than glass.