iPhone screen not smooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by P51, Oct 22, 2011.

1. P51 macrumors regular

Got my 4s and I'm noticing the screen isn't smooth. My finger seems to get stuck at certain points. I only really notice it when I'm playing games.

I also noticed it years ago on my iPod touch 3rd gen. I solved that problem by putting a screen protector on.

Has any one else experienced this? I never had this problem with my droid phones(not bashing, just saying, maybe apple uses worse glass?)

2. realchimera macrumors regular

No. But you can replace it at Apple store even if you smacked the screen glass into pieces.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

4. P51 thread starter macrumors regular

I had this problem on my ipod touch though too.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I find that even though the screen has an oleophobic coating, it's still possible for your finger/thumb to snag on it as you drag it across.

I seriously doubt that any screen wouldn't be smooth when leaving the factory. Do you have any pictures?

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't see how this is a problem. The coating on all the screens eventually wears off and of your hands are sweaty or clammy then that would affect it as well. Too many variables.

7. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Don't ignore it. If you are picky about such things, which your thread suggests, then you should get it replaced. You might end up thinking about it every second time you pick up your iPhone. Don't be lazy. :)

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It very much depends on your hands. If you've just washed and dried them then it'll feel sticky and unpleasant. They naturally produce oils though which is what makes the phone smooth to touch normally.

9. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Even if that was true, it's irrelevant. He has an iPhone 4s. It has just been released, it's shouldn't deteriorate that quickly.

----------

In his case though, it affects only certain points on the screen.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

That'll be just because the whole screen isn't greased up yet. I know what it's like because I just applied a screen protector on my iPad. It feels horrid to start but I've been wiping my hands over the screen to smoothen it.

11. ijohnbro macrumors regular

12. cababah macrumors 68000

it is a glass screen. there really isn't much variation in how glass comes out. however, factor in humidity levels, sweat, heat, moisture in hands and that all can make it not as smooth.

even with the oleophobic coating, you will still experience some friction under the right circumstances. keep following the "REPLACE REPLACE" mentality and you will pretty much keep getting new phones every week until Apple decides to cut you off and recommend you see a psychologist instead.

13. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

That's an assumption, you don't now the exact properties of the screen. We really don't whether the OP has a defective unit or if he's just being picky. However the OP makes it sound abnormal. And I personally haven't experienced anything similar, hence my suggestion.

14. P51 thread starter macrumors regular

I did just wash my hands, so I don't know. What I do know is, with my iPod, I left it sit for 6 months(no use) and I couldn't slide on it to save my life.

I couldn't even unlock it in one motion.... I guess the film was coming off?

Also on my 4s, I do notice my fingerprints stay... and that's the area where I'm having problems.

15. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Maybe try using some iKlear or some other sort of eye glass cleaner on the screen. This could help with the issue.

16. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

:rolleyes:

17. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

its the oleophobic coating on the phone, i just got my iphone 4 replaced by apple for free and noticed that its kinda hard to slide your finger across the screen without a little friction, nothing serious though and it keeps the screen glossy and sleek. it starts to smooth out the more you use it because the coating doesnt last for ever

18. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If you wash your hands you will wash off a lot of the natural oils on your finger which makes it slippery. After a while it should become normal again. My iPhones screen is always grippy after I wash my hands

19. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I only have this problem immediately after washing my hands. Once my fingers are completely dry, I can once again slide them smoothly on the screen again.