iphone screen only stays lit for 2 rings, before shutting off..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by charliehustle, Sep 2, 2009.

1. charliehustle macrumors 6502

so my old 3G would keep the picture of my contact on the screen till the caller hung up..

but on my new 3gs, even if its on silent or ringing mode,, when I call my iphone from my house phone, the screen only stays lit for 2 rings, then goes back to sleep mode. but keeps ringing,

so if I don't reach the phone by the second ring, I don't know who it is, unless I press the home button, which lights up the screen so I can see the caller ID

is this some battery saving feature? do all phones do this?

2. hsk macrumors regular

Mine just started doing this yesterday. It will wake up on a call as normal, but the screen turns off after about 5 seconds - or the normal time it would turn off after you wake it up but do not unlock it. Then if you do not answer the call, the screen will come back on. Have you added any new programs in the past few days?

3. megadon macrumors 6502

4. hsk macrumors regular

Have you reset the phone yet? I am probably going to do that next.

5. charliehustle thread starter macrumors 6502

are you gonna reset all settings or erase all data and settings?

6. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I didn't notice that.. I'll try and let you know.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't want to do an erase! It's a reset all settings, which is almost equivalent to a restore as new.

8. hsk macrumors regular

Actually, I did a restore and then reloaded my backup and it did not fix it. Had to do a "fresh" restore and then reload everything again - that fixed it. My problem was the tethering hack from help.benm.at.

9. charliehustle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I reset my settings and it's working fine now..

10. buzzoff128 macrumors newbie

For those of u who don't want to do a fresh install here's a fix to the problem go under settings > general > accesibility > and turn off zoom it's a bug and now u will recieve ur calls normally

FIXED

11. tokki75 macrumors newbie

iphone 3gs keeps shutting off and rebooting on its own

I think I have similar situation as everyone with my 3gs except my 3gs shuts off and reboots even when I don't touch it. When I try to use it it does the same. I tried with a full battery but the same. So far it has never been dropped in the water but I did drop the phone on the carpet twice. I haven't reset the phone yet but hoping I don't have to. Since I feel its more of a hardware issue. I noticed when I move my phone around it starts to shut off and reboot again. If it is the reboot button problem, how do you resolve it? Sometimes when I try to press the "ON" button on the bottom it takes screen shots, which means the top reboot button is some how effected.

Hopefully I could get some help. I really don't want to waste anything on this phone because I am waiting for the iphone 5.

Thanks!:confused: