IPhone Screen Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by a5hl3y2k6, Feb 25, 2010.

1. a5hl3y2k6 macrumors newbie

I have an iphone, the screen smashed (glass Digitalizer & LCD) so i have replaced all and i now have no screen, i checked the connectors and all appear ok. 1 2 and 3, is there anyway i can test the new screen without trying it on another iphone as i dont have one to hand, i have cleaned and blew any dirt out and still have no joy the iphone itself powers and works as it connects to the pc and makes all the usual sounds i just have no screen it just stays black as if it was off. i have also done a hard reset to no avail does anyone have any tips to tricks to try? should i consider ordering another screen?

thank you.!

2. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

also does the phone need to be fully build and the two screens at the bottom put back in for the screen to work or can you just plug the screen in and power it up which it is still apart to check it its working. thanks

3. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

um try looking at the #1 connector to make sure there is nothing in it .....i have had this happen before and what i did maybe it will work for you or no.........if you turned the power button on after putting the lcd assembly back in place chances are that it is still powered on ..try calling your phone and see if it rings and or vibrates if it does remove the motherboard from the back housing and then re-install the board and attach the screen agin and see if that works......... just read your post again remove the motherboard so the phone will shut itself off the put the board back in screw it down and re-connect the screens

4. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have taken the motherboard out and placed it back in now, it still has no screen and also no power now but i think it may be because the battery has been left to go flat for two days, it was getting quiet warm when it was on before (yesturday) with no screen plugged in..... it is on charge now via plug socket, and it has just vibrated twice? but still no screen. any ideas other things to try... cheers.

just plugged it into usb and is detecting again. but still no screen. is there a chance the screen is faulty. cheers.

5. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

i certainly could be that mess around with connector #1 look at it with a maginfying glass if you can.......did you buy the glass and lcd as one assembly?

6. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i purchased it comeplete, the reason for it being smashed was because it fell out my pocket and hit the deck, it does look like two of the pins on the screen are slightly smaller and have been pushed back but i think they would make contact still. do iphones have a graphics chip? im just wondering if i tried another screen it would still not work due to a graphics chip fault. but i do doubt it because it seems to power up and make all the right sounds when plugged into usb and that.

could it also be posible that it was on when it was plugged in and it has shorted out and either blew a chip on the mobo or took the screen out. thanks for your responce again:)

update: looking at the connector on the screen head on it would appear pin 5 and 7 are slightly bent in towards the base of the connector. could this have shorted it out and is now useless or if i bend them back and get them to make contact do you think the screen will still work? cheers

7. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

you an try to move those 2 out a little and then try to re-connect the screen again

8. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

i broke one :( lol new screen tomorrow :) hopefully i can be more carefull with this one. and wont have two bent pins :) thanks for your help mate. ill post me results for reference lol cheers

9. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Just Connect Connector # 1

Just Connect Connector # 1 & see if the LCD lights up. Leave the Connector # 1 & 2 unconnected. You do not need to put the two bottom screws to check it out.

If not working then your LCD is bust.

I imagine your iPhone still rings when you keep it connected to the Wall charger with just the Mother board assembly.

-Ganesh

10. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

lcd

what a lot of people do not realize is that you have to turn the phone off before you take it apart. you do not want it to fire up automatically when you start connecting the tabs. most of the time when the ear speaker stops working it is because it was on when it was put back together and it blew the proximity sensor.

now, I had this exact same thing happen to me today. make sure the battery has plenty of charge. now, hold the home button down and the power button at the same time and do a hard restart. keep holding till you see the apple icon. but yes it is real easy to bend the pins or get some debree in there. :cool:

12. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have ordered a new genuine apple screen today, i am leaving it to discharge itself today so when the screen arrives the battery will be flat i shall fit the screen only. and leave it on charge and then fire it up and see what happens, you watch ill get the screen working and then ill have more problems! :) thanks for responces.

13. a5hl3y2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

new screen arrived and fitted, iphone is nopw functioning, now... does anyone know the easiest way i can unlock this for all networks as it was a tmobile phone and i want to use it on o2/orange. thanks.