iPhone screen repair and jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan884, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Ryan884, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Ryan884 macrumors newbie

I have a iphone 5 with a cracked screen and lines across the screen. The digitizer is also messed up because the screen randomly touches things. Will apple care if its jailbroken i hear they dont touch your data because i called and asked but my lock screen is themed. But i cant really get into winterboard to change the theme back cause the phone is so messed up. If i have to restore it i will but im on 6.1 and want to keep it that way so i can keep my jailbreak.

edit: how can i restore and still be on 6.1. Also anyway to usb file view and change the theme.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You cannot restore to 6.1. You can only restore to the latest signed version of iOS, which is 6.1.4. That will remove your jailbreak.

Apple will not touch a jailbroken iPhone. You may get incredibly lucky and get a genius who will ignore it, but don't count on it.

If you did not already have any tweaks/apps that allowed file access then to get file level access you'd need to access Cydia. PhoneView on the Mac might help, but I believe it has limited access. I don't know about any PC apps.

It looks like you may just be facing losing the jailbreak and fixing the phone or living with a broken phone.

3. Ryan884, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Ryan884 thread starter macrumors newbie

**** i really just need to get rid of the lockscreen theme and i would be set. What would happen if i got a pc app with file access and deleted winterboard, would that yield any success

edit: i guess the only the other option to keep the jailbreak would be to buy a screen from ifix it and do it myself. I can easily handle it but i just thought that if i got it done by apple it would be better quality since they calibrate the displays with some machine

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You either do it yourself or have a local repair shop replace the screen or you bring it to Apple and you lose your JB.
    You cannot restore an iphone 5 to anything but the latest firmware version.

5. Ryan884 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience using ifixit displays or similar and can speak on the quality of them

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Did you purchase AppleCare Plus? If not, then cracked screen isn't covered under warranty which will make your decision to DIY easier. Out of warranty replacement on the iPhone 5 is $229. So I suggest finding a good deal on a screen and doing it yourself. The screen likely will not be the same quality though. But, that's the trade off with keeping it jailbroken.

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hardly. A good screen for the iPhone 5 is $180.

8. Ryan884 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure thats for a phone swap for a new screen with apple care or not it is 150. And im def not doing a phone swap because ill just get a refurb phone with newest fw.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure if all Apple stores do screen repairs.
    I know most just swap it for a refurb.

10. Ryan884 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya not all do but i called my local ones and asked what they do. Of the 3 i called 2 did the screen repairs.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh good, that would be a better option and cheaper.

12. Ryan884, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

Ryan884 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so managed to fix the winterboard ******** by renaming the files with ifunbox only problem is iphone is disabled to where it says connect to itunes. What to i do.

edit: i think i got it to go away by trying to sync and then it telling me i cant and somehow it fixed it and now its just asking for code so cool?? Also my carrier is still set to my name will that be a problem at apple?