Iphone screen Saver, not an app but a built in screensaver

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xsecretfiles, Jul 29, 2009.

1. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned before, but I can't find a thread

anyways, did everybody notice the built-in screen savers on the iphones at the apple store(s)?
    I also notice it was actually video screen saver...

Why is apple only implementing this on their floor models??? I think it would be neat to have my own screen saver.... I guess the battery would die fast, but I want a built-in screen saver dammit!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hmm. Good point. It would be nice to have the option, but I wouldnt use it much.

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

its not as much a screensaver as it is a demo video. It's purpose is to give people a glimpse at what the iPhone can do. Someone on the forums here mentioned they were given one of these demo units accidentally. He/she found it very annoying...i would find it annoying as well.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yes, but the second you touch the screen it disappears, much like moving your mouse when your SS is up. I dont think its a stand alone video like on an iPod, however to the OP's point, it really does seem like a SS.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With the demise of the CRT so too the demise of the screen saver, Originally used to ensure that there was no burn in because of the physical attributes of the phosphors on the glass. LCDs really do not suffer from such a ghosting phenomenon.

having a screen saver on an iPhone makes absolutely no sense, first there's no burn-in issue, secondly the battery life is pitiful as it is, there's no reason to drain so quickly just to watch some animation eye candy when your not using the phone.

My $.02 is we'll never see a built in screen saver and there's no need to have one as an app

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Eh? What do you need?

Anyways, you're absolutely right, that was the original intent for SSs, but wouldnt the option to have it be kind of nice?

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Screen savers on demo units in Apple stores? Say what? I guess I've never noticed since I don't usually go and play with my own phone on display in the store.

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Basically true, but not totally true. In many businesses where security of a PC is an issue to ensure non-employees do not use the PCs, password protected screen savers or lockdowns are enabled.

Mike