iPhone screen scratches - Any quick fixes?

appleii.c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
New IP6 with some very minor screen scratches (waiting on my screen protector to arrive). I figure these are just little scratches to the Oleophobic coating, not the glass itself. I was wondering if anyone has had any success removing these?

I've seen a few different "home remedies" that people have used but not on very reliable sites. Some of the things I've read are using diamond powder to buff them out, RainX, I've even seen an actual Oleophobic coating (Aculon and also a product called Fusso on Amazon). They are very minor scratches, you have to look carefully to see them but I was wondering if anyone has had any success or suggestions?

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
yeah, start with some 80-grit sandpaper to get the surface down to the scratch. once there, use some 800-grit to smooth it out. finish off with a polisher and you got a brand new :apple: phone.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
New IP6 with some very minor screen scratches (waiting on my screen protector to arrive). I figure these are just little scratches to the Oleophobic coating, not the glass itself. I was wondering if anyone has had any success removing these?

I've seen a few different "home remedies" that people have used but not on very reliable sites. Some of the things I've read are using diamond powder to buff them out, RainX, I've even seen an actual Oleophobic coating (Aculon and also a product called Fusso on Amazon). They are very minor scratches, you have to look carefully to see them but I was wondering if anyone has had any success or suggestions?
If it's the coating I wouldn't do anything. The scratches will fade over time

Il are you sure they're scratches? I thought I had a couple but it turns out that they were very fine streaks left behind after using a microfiber cloth.

BuffordT

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
Put a screen protector. All these people trying to differentiate between the coating and glass being scratched. It doesn't matter, it's a scratch. Put a protector on it lickedy split.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Not so sure of that. I am think it was replaced with something different on the 6 and 6 Plus.
Yes, they even tell you on their site:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Put a screen protector. All these people trying to differentiate between the coating and glass being scratched. It doesn't matter, it's a scratch. Put a protector on it lickedy split.
I'm waiting on my PowerSupport screen protectors to get in. Should be in this afternoon.

Il are you sure they're scratches? I thought I had a couple but it turns out that they were very fine streaks left behind after using a microfiber cloth.

Yeah, they are scratches. They are confines to two small areas. one by the ear hole, and the other on one of the edges (probably from me lying it face down). They are very minor so I'm ok with them there for now.

Thanks for all the replies though, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone. As was mentioned, they'll probably fade off as the coating blends out. Was looking for a simple home remedy. (not willing to take the 300 grit to the new phone though :D ).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, they even tell you on their site:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

I'm waiting on my PowerSupport screen protectors to get in. Should be in this afternoon.

Yeah, they are scratches. They are confines to two small areas. one by the ear hole, and the other on one of the edges (probably from me lying it face down). They are very minor so I'm ok with them there for now.

Thanks for all the replies though, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone. As was mentioned, they'll probably fade off as the coating blends out. Was looking for a simple home remedy. (not willing to take the 300 grit to the new phone though :D ).
Thanks for that information. Do not try to polish them out as a friend used some ultrafine auto finish compound on his screen and it was not so pretty.

Last edited:

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009

How will they fade over time?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
My black bezel has some minor scratches. Unfortunately, black will always show scratches more than white because of the simple rule of light. Black absorbs light, while white reflects it. Thats why swirls in the clear coat of black cars is far more obvious that swirls in the clear coat of white cars. They both have them, but more easily seen on black. That's why you see them on your screen when it is off, vs when it is on. Put a screen protector on it and the scratches will disappear as it fills in those micro scratches.