iPhone Screen Shattered (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by godaz, Mar 7, 2010.

1. godaz macrumors regular

Getting out of the car yesterday my phone fell out of my pocket and this happened...

[​IMG]

What is the best way to go about this, can Apple do anything or o2 insurance, if not that household contents?

All advice appreciated!

thanks

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Get some new glass off eBay ~£12 :)

3. godaz thread starter macrumors regular

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I shattered my 3G S', could of done it on insurance, would of had to have paid £50, and my premium would of gone up more than the cost of Apple/O2 repairing it, which is £140.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

DO NOT BUY A NEW GLASS OFF EBAY!!! you need to real alot of the stories on here about replacement quality of the eBay parts!!

just find a local repair shop to you. make sure they are using OEM Apple Parts. the repair should cost about $100. if its something stupid like $50 then they are using low quality copies off eBay.

your phone is not covered by warranty when it hits the ground. if you get it done by a good repair shop you wont lose your warranty if you have any remaining.

6. johnnyi macrumors regular

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Insurance

tell you all something else I found out. put it on your home owners insurace. it cost less then $20 per year. no deductible. I have already repaired 3 in the last two weeks this way. they bring them to me and I just fix them, collect payment from the customer and they submit my invoice for full reimbursement.

8. purplecupcake12 macrumors newbie

Shatterd Screen

Poor you! the exact same thing happened to me, my phone fell about 2 feet above the ground on to THICK CARPET and it completely shattered! I was so angry because i had the iPhone 3g and i had even dropped that on concrete with only a scratch. Did i mention my iPhone that shattered i had only bought 6 days ago!? Anyway apple wont cover it but i have my suspicions that there is some thing wronge with a batch of glass or the top of the phone near the speaker is weak.

Attached Files:

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

Agreed! Anyone offering an extremely cheap repair is using sub-par glass. OEM is the only way to go. Cheap glass will cause the touch response to not act right(response will be oversensitive, inaccurate, jumpy, etc).

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Funny Story

ok so I had the guy call me last week. he wanted to know what I charged to replace the digitizer on his girl friends 3g. I told him $100 for a new Apple screen. he said he already bought a OEM Apple screen off Amazon for $30 plus shipping and wanted to know what I would charge him to put it on cause he couldnt figure it out. so I told him I dont normally do that but I would assume no risk and no warranty and I would do it for $50. so now he has $80 plus shipping. I put it together and the touch screen would not work. and did is several times with no luck. I told him the touchscreen was bad. he said ok put mine on. I said it will be $!00 he said fine. so I took his off and when I laid it on the table it made a funny noise. I picked it up and his oem screen off amazon was plastic! I read the label and is said "APPIE" not "APPLE". man was he pissed! needles to say mine worked!! so I cut him a break on the labor on the first one but I charged him $125 plus his $30 and shipping so he has about $165-$170 in it when I could have did it for the $100 initially. so beware of eBay and Amazon. buy from a reputable supplier. :cool:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats when people get cheap and want to save a few bucks and then end up spending more :D