iPhone Screen Shattered!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scuzzbug, Aug 15, 2010.

1. scuzzbug macrumors member

So, I got my iPhone 4 on Australian Launch day. Happy as punch with it. Never had a phone as sexy as this one. And I used it religiously with the bumper Optus provided me. However just the other day as I was getting out of my car, the phone rolled off my lap and went smack on the concrete. I consulted the back of my phone first and to my relief no scratch at all. Only to turn it over and I faced a completely shattered screen, not just a scratch or two, but Shattered, It still works though I'm not going to put up with it for long.
    Thankfully I signed up for insurance on purchase day, but I dont know whether to go to Apple first and see what they will do, Ive heard stories where they've replaced it, what do you think my chances are?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Call your local store and get in touch with a Genius, will save you some gas. You could also try calling the 1-800 Apple number and ask what their policy is and explain what happened.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is doubtful Apple will offer to do much other than replace it for a fee. Here in the US it is $199 to replace a damaged 16GB iPhone. What does your insuance cover? I'd probably go that route if it covers accidents. After all that is what you bought the insurance for.

Oh yeah, here is the obligatory "Pics or it didn't happen.". :p

4. scuzzbug thread starter macrumors member

I figured since I was in the City I'd just pop in. My Insurance covers it, but theres an excess because it happened in the first 3 months, but it most probably be my best bet. going via insurance, its 350 for a new phone, and 150 for repair.

Attached Files:

5. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

6. scuzzbug thread starter macrumors member

Not the actual Apple bumper, Optus gave out all rubber bumpers on launch day, they look the same, but no metal buttons

7. smokedog macrumors regular

Have a Bumper on makes no difference. The Bumper offers no front or back protection.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, but at least you can stick a backing and front protection by squeezing it between the sides.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A bumper doesn't make the iPhone 4 bulletproof. If the screen of any phone lands hard enough on a hard surface, it's going to shatter.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That sucks, and makes me very wary of where I take it. I just got my Bumper and iPhone from Optus about 4 days ago. Haven't been around to buy any screen protectors yet and I was super paranoid the first couple of days I had it. But so far it's survived friends handling it over dinner.

Need to find some quality name brand screen protectors in Australia, like Wrapsol/Powersupport. There is some comfort that the headphones are a real tight fit should it fall out of my hand.

11. scuzzbug thread starter macrumors member

I really like the iSolo mirror screen protectors, though they made it hard to read the screen in sunlight. I havent heard of any worth bragging about, I was actually on the look out for some matte screen protectors....

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich