iPhone Screen Shot Feature Broken??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macduke, Nov 15, 2009.

1. macduke Suspended

macduke

Hi all. I have a non-jailbroken 32gb iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 and my ability to take screen shots by holding the home button + sleep wake button has vanished! It still responds though, but instead of taking a screen shot the screen goes black, and then the lock screen pops up after about half a second. I went through my photo roll and the last screen shot that I took was on November 10th, 5 days ago. So far I've tried rebooting and I would like to not do a restore if possible as it takes so much freaking time--especially with all the apps that I have. I thought that maybe my photo roll had run out of space or something weird (I have a lot + photos from my 3g and first gen copied over) but when I took a new photo it added it fine. For some reason I still think it has something to do with the photo album. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Duke

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You mention that your iPhone is not JailBroken. Was it before?

What happens if you upload some pictures and then delete them on the iPhone to free up some space?

3. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

Never been JB. Recently cleared off a several hundred photos and got the total back down to 700-ish. Rebooted and still have this problem. Am I the only one? I hope Apple releases a new firmware update soon because my phone is also getting a little laggy and its a 3GS!

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only thing I would suggest is doing a restore thru itunes.
    The feature should work fine and a stock 3GS shouldnt be laggy. Something is not right with your current firmware software. My 3GS is running many JB extentions and I background programs and still is nice and quick.

5. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

I'm starting to think that also. I regularly reboot my iPhone every day or two and I experience lag on simple things like switching between tabs in Safari that can take 5-10 seconds. Not always, but it didn't used to do that. If I restore from backup, will the issue persist? Or do I have to start from new? I'd rather not do that because I have so many save games, to-dos, texts--all kinds of stuff--that I'd rather not lose and have to redo or reinput. I can deal with the lag and no screenshots for awhile but hopefully a new fw will come out soon. Also not sure if this will help: about two weeks ago I was playing a game and the battery died as I was plugging it into the charger. Somehow I ended up restarting it while it was already booting because I didn't realize it, and it froze on the Apple logo for a good 10 minutes or so while I rebooted it and tried connecting it to my MBP. It seems like the lag has started since then.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe that incident corrupted some firmware files.
    I say restore from backup and see how it goes.
    It shouldnt take that long and everything should be exactly the same as far as saved scores, texts and settings. Just make sure you backup your phone before you restore.

7. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

Yeah I have a lot of experience with that because of 2.0 problems last year. Even DFU restores over and over. I'm just wondering if the problem will come back when I bring my files back in. I'll try it tonight after I make a new backup. I have all my pages filled with apps so it might take awhile. Also--the screenshot feature was broken before I had that problem rebooting. This post is bumped from November.

8. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

I ended up using iPhone Explorer iPhone Explorer and Disk Aid to delete my picture folders and start over. That seemed to bring my screenshot capability back to life after rebooting and taking a new picture to recreate the folder structure. Right now I'm resetting / restoring from backup because I figure I should go ahead and do it anyway. iPhone OS is sort of like Windows...it needs to be reinstalled about every 6 months, especially if you are a power user. Hopefully Apple cleans up 4.0 a bit more so it doesn't degrade as poorly.