iPhone SD Card Reader

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ManhattanPrjct, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I am going to be taking a long trip and would like to be able to continually take pictures from my digital camera and store them on my iPhone for safe-keeping while I am away (since I won't have my computer).

Is there an accessory or device that could connect a SD/SDHC memory card to the iPhone? I can find card readers with USB connections, but nothing to get it to an iPhone.

2. TheProgramguy macrumors newbie

Is there something out now that can do that? No, but I am actually working on a project right now to do just that, but be prepared to wait a long time to transfer the files. I never intended it for pictures but its just as easy as binary files that I am doing now.

Right now the limitations are pretty steep.
    1. iPhone must be jailbroken
    2. It must be an SD card not an SDHC (<=4gb)
    3. It communicates at 28.8 kbps (bits) from the SD card reader to the iPhone

with overhead its realistically 3 kBps (Bytes) and cameras nowaday put out pictures in the 3-6 MB range

a 'small' 3mb picture is about 1024 seconds = 17 mins per picture

useful for setting and forgetting overnight but thats about it, for apps and textual data though its super useful.

Jimmy

3. rht35 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Have you finished the card reader already? Is there any progress or new on your project? Thanks!

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I think Apple used to sell a mini-USB (camera) to dock connector adapter on their website, but I'm not sure if they still do.

6. bobolito macrumors newbie

Where does it say that product can connect directly to an iPhone? That doesn't solve the problem here.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the logic is that, right now, the iPhone is just not the right device for the task. The OP wanted to be able to store photos off-camera. The linked device and others like it are perfect for the task. The iPhone really isn't -- not right now, at least.

OTOH,, this OP asked for advice on how to do this in January... presumably, his/her trip is long since over with and done. Why keep bumping this thread up to bicker about it?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Won't this be possible in the near future with the new 3.0 OS?

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Here's an example

I don't need to keep my coffee warm by using a USB cup heater I have a microwave for that

or a more extreme version

I don't need my computer to make toast for me , I have a toaster

You don't always need one device to do EVERYTHING, sometimes there is a device that already exists, that does that task elegantly and consistently.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you are really set on doing this with your iphone, I have a method for you.

Take your camera, and bring up the preview of a desired shot you want to retain. Take out iphone, and snap a picture of the LCD of the camera. Voila, picture is now stored on iphone. Repeat as necessary.

Seriously, there's no good way to do it. I'd advise you to get a big SDHC card (if you can use those) and use that. Otherwise, you're going to need an alternate solution as discussed.

11. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

12. drubioso macrumors newbie

13. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality