iPhone SDK conspiracy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, May 20, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I was looking around the interwebs and found this, looks interesting and probably true, too!

I also found one talking about how Apple knew the phone part of the iPhone pat would be crap (with EDGE and all) but they sold it anyway and released the iPod touch so people would still give them money if they wanted the other features... That I am not to sure about, or they would have put Mail, Notes etc. on it when it was first released.

Just thought I would post this as its interesting and thought it would be good to hear peoples thoughts on this stuff.

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Whomever wrote that doesn't know much about what he's talking about.

"Flash wont run on iPhone means you can not play flash based games. You have to buy your games from Apple. Apple gets a 30% share of the sale price. Wow! Well with a margin like that who would want to let go of the tight control."

Flash won't run on iPhone because Flash is extremely CPU intensive, battery intensive, and opens the system up to instability and maybe malware.

"The iPhone SDK is available only on a Mac! Well that is just a trick to drive Mac sales up. Nice move..."

The iPhone SDK is just the Mac SDK with a few changes. Is Mac SDK available on PC? And why should Apple hire PC programmers to make a PC version of their SDK at the same time as the Apple version? It just doesn't make sense.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Nope, Adobe themselves said they could make it but not with the restricted official SDK. I mean, I have flash on my ****ing Nokia, why aint it on the iPhone which is meant to have a "full desktop internet browser" on it?

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

This topic has been beat on more times than I care to count.

I'm pretty sure its a CPU/Battery issue. Flash is notorious for sucking up the CPU. On a mobile device, it's not a good thing.

Adobe is working on a mobile version of flash to compete with silverlight.

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Adobe also said they would deliver a Flash player using the SDK, then had to take that back a few days later. It's a safe bet that Adobe don't know anything more about developing for iPhone than the typical ADC member. They probably know less.

Flash runs like an absolute dog even on a 2.8 GHz iMac, let alone on iPhone. It's also the #1 reason for Safari crashes. It's also not clear how a Flash app would run in iPhone Safari's zoom'n'pan environment - there's no drag'n'drop, there's no hovering, and no keyboard. Now how many Flash games, apps, and websites would you still be able to use?

6. neven macrumors 6502a

By the way, the original mini-post that was linked to is complete garbage.

"Because Steve knows that everyone buys a Mac for the hardware and end up using Vista on it."

Worst. Ever.

Also, they might want to look up the difference between "conspiracy" and "business strategy".

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

To think that a site can get so popular even with such bs.

1) Flash is CPU intensive in terms of the actual computer Flash. As for Flash Lite (what they use on mobile phones), Apple said that the quality was lacking.

So that's why there's no Flash. If only Apple allowed Adobe to have a more un-restricted SDK...

As for the 30% thing, that's for server maintenance. Sure, Apple doesn't need 30% to keep up one paid application...but there's the fact that the majority of applications will probably be free (which means people are going to download it, something will fail [maybe they decided to use a jailbreak that comes out that supports 2.0] and they'll restore and download again). What's keeping that up? Obviously part of the 30% from other applications.

2) TBH, I have no idea what iFund is...

3) Does he realize that the SDK is only a set of APIs, binaries, and runtimes that extend XCode? (Which not that many Windows users were interested in) So they're gonna take like a year to port developmental tools just because people want to try out the SDK just to find out that they hate Objective-C? Besides, in that time, a serious programmmer would have saved up enough for a Mac Mini.

4) What the deuce? It's not like Steve Jobs emphasized this over and over.

5) I have to admit that I put Vista on (XP is better...but it's so ugly on a Macbook Pro...and I'm not using resources for WindowBlinds).

But if you wanted to use Vista, why not buy a Windows PC and buy a Mac instead?

I really wonder if this was a sarcastic article...it better be. Even though it's a poor attempt at a sarcastic article, it's better than actually believing that.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Consipracy theories are everywhere. Some even think that Elizabeth II is a lizard... As for that blog post, I smell a windoze fanboy.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since they'll have more free time now that they can't write Flash for the iPhone, could you please have them re-write it for the Mac so that it doesn't use so much CPU that MacBook and Air fans go full-speed when playing longer videos? :confused:

If EDGE is your defining criteria for a crap phone, then every AT&T and T-Mobile BlackBerry sold to date is crap, including the Curve, which came out at roughly the same time the iPhone did. :eek:

10. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am just quoting what the other article said, which a said I disagreed with... However, on the case of BlackBerries, they are used mainly by buisness people who only check e-mails on them, whereas the iPhone is a big Internet device.

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

The guy who wrote that post is probably a Windows fan boy who doesn't own a Mac, and has never used one, and who probably won't ever have a girlfriend, has greasy hair and re-entry sheild glasses

12. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

As opposed to a vain, narcissistic, self obsessed homosexual who spends money he can't afford on goods to look good whilst perpetually fearing the arrival of the bailiffs?

Look, I can do silly stereotypes too!

13. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

ahhahahah BARRNNNT

14. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Actually if you go on to read his blogs it says he got married..

>_>

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

9/10