iPhone SDK: When in February

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Jan 21, 2008.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

So we all know that there is supposed to be an iPhone SDK in February, but how about some details.

When in February? The beginning of the month? The end of the month?

Who will have access to it? Is it open to all developers, or will it cost something? I hope I'll be able to write a version of my SlothCam Widget for iPhone!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

How do you know it's the end, not the beginning of Feb?

4. nate94gt macrumors member

i think it was blipped during the expo last week

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's an annoying little voice named 'experience.'

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

February 26, though Friday February 29th is a very strong possibility as Apple will take a "Leap" forward for the iPhone.

7. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

How true, how true!

I too believe it'll be towards the end of the month going on previous experience with Apple.

~Crawn

8. aosman macrumors 6502

It gives apple more time to finish up AND meet the deadline

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

But they have an extra day, do you not think they'll take advantage of that. ;)

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Definitely the 29th. It's just so... Apple.. to stretch something as far as they can!

12. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

13. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Man.. we've got to wait so long! :(

So my other question is... who will have access to this SDK? Will it be available to Apple Developer Connection (ADC) members, even the free student members like me? There are definitely other SDKs available for download on their site for all ADC members, so I am hoping they will do the same with the iPhone.

14. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

probably have to wait longer still for anything to actually download, i dont know the average dev time on a portable app though im sure most have been internally testing and prepairing for a while and with jailbreak.

15. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

We don't know.

Hopefully it will either be an add-on for X-Code, or even DashCode and be free to download. Or Apple may create a third free development app.

The real question is how it gets deployed... Which is up in the air. Will it be like current iPhone web apps? Will it be an add-on for the iTunes Store. Will Apple want a cut for the not-free apps? We are just going to have to wait and see.

Right now there is no info on just how much the SDK will open things up. It could extend things just enough to let web apps store some data locally and give almost no access to the underlying OS. For something like that a DashCode dev environment would be "enough", which most of the code still being Ajax-based.

16. Project macrumors 68020

I don't think it is up in the air. You saw the iPod touch update last week? That's how it will work.

I guess there will be options in the SDK/XCode similar to iWeb and how you can send a podcast right to the store. Set your price, screenshot, boom.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

the amount of time they spent on this SDK alone, i'm sure it's going to be something of it's own, and probably "revolutionary" :rolleyes:

18. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Let's put it this way.

When asked at "All Things D" whether the iPhone was still on schedule to be released in June, Steve Jobs said, "Yes, we're still on target for late in June." The release date was June 29th.

When Steve Jobs talked of the SDK at MacWorld, he said, "In late February." I think that means the end of February -- probably 28th or 29th as has been said.

19. Project macrumors 68020

Its not exactly a trivial amount of work to do. There is so much that goes hand in hand with a full SDK. And don't forget the distribution system, payment process, documentation etc

20. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

True I was just hoping that they would have done all of the non trivial work by the beginning of Feb. I guess we've got another month to wait... :(