iPhone SDK - Will they charge for the apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cattywampus_, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

So when Apple releases the SDK for iPhone - do people have to submit their applications to Apple for them to look at before people can actually get them?

What I am getting at is - are Apple going to be charging people to download new Apps using the SDK, or will they all be freely available?

2. osirisX macrumors regular

3. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I would imagine they will charge. Developers won't be spending months creating apps for apple to distribute freely.

They will want some kind of pay off.

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The unknown element is, will Apple leave it up to the individual developers to decide whether or not they want to charge users for the apps they produce?

Or will Apple take it upon themselves to charge every time an app is loaded on the iPhone, and distribute the revenues to the various developers automatically?

Or might there be some hybrid of both distribution schemes available?

5. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I agree, it'll probably be a hybrid.

iTunes currently distributes free content that people create for free, ie. podcasts. I can envision a new section of the iTunes store called apps and in it will be paid for and freeware applications.

Not sure if they'll try and implement a try & buy scheme like, shareware, donationware stuff, that might be a little tricky under this model.

M.

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yes. and No.

As mentioned it truly depends on apple's itune store req and if developers will be able to distribute weak signed apps.

7. atomic3 macrumors newbie

I agree with the iTunes app store idea. If developers are offering it as freeware, it will be free through iTunes. If developers want to change, the end user will pay for it and Apple will want a cut.

8. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think we will most likely see apps distributed through iTunes. This way Apple is able to trace back any problems that may occur because of an app. Apple will probably have some type of screening process to make things a little safer too. As far as price goes, there will probably be some minor apps or games that are free and then there will be other apps that cost anywhere from $.99 and up.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't know...many developers made apps for apptapp with no charge, so I could see it going either way.

that is unless apple requires the apps to go through them!

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Most apps will be free.

Installer.app took a lot of time to make, and they could easily charge for it.