Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Have an old IPhone SE 1st Generation that I bought back when it came out. I used it for around 5 years or so and during that time, I had the battery replaced at an apple store once. This must have been a bit after 2 years or so where the battery health was mid 80% I believe but not for sure what it was. It was for sure 85% or less but I recall they had that promotion where they charged like $29 plus tax or something like that so I went and got that. Many people did that few years ago right? Well I think after a year or so, the battery was wearing out. I continued to use it for the next 2 years or so but the battery just got worst. I then bought an iphone 13 mini 2 years ago and been using it ever since.

Now this old Iphone SE 1st generation has a battery health of 75% which is obviously bad right? It shows the word service next to it. The only time I use this iphone is when at night browsing youtube. The thing is I do have a sim card for it though... it's a US sim card that I pay a tiny amount monthly to keep it as a backup phone. My main phone, the iphone 13 mini is my main phone and my regular non US sim card which I use is my main phone. I'm from the US but I travel abroad a lot so because of that even if I'm in the US, I use the iphone 13 mini which has the non US sim card which I could use in the US and outside the US where I'm at most of the time. So the iphone SE 1st generation, I would only use it to make calls or text if I have to on wifi while outside the US or when in the US but I rarely have used it since I use the iphone 13 mini.

My question is, should I have the iphone SE 1st generation battery replaced or not? If so, apple store doesn't do it right and I have to buy the replacement battery from ifixit and do it myself or pay a store to install it? How much would it cost total? Again I only use this phone to watch youtube on wifi at night because I like how small this phone is compared to the iphone 13 mini. Yes I know the iphone 13 mini is small but I'm used to the iphone se 1st generation. The other thing is the iphone SE 1st generation freezes a lot. It lags a bit as well. Is this 100% due to the battery? Also, I'm still using version IOS 14 because I read you should never upgrade to IOS 15 on the iphone SE 1st generation because the battery will even get worst? It would have more lagging issues than it already has? So because of that, I stayed with the IOS 14 though it's already lagging but I don't want it to get worst.

Now if I get a replacement battery for it, should I then upgrade to IOS 15 or not? So this iphone SE 1st generation is basically a backup phone in case something happens to my iphone 13 mini. But I certainly can't use the iphone SE 1st generation as it is the way it is now as my regular phone even if I switch the sim card. Again I am paying for 2 phone plans a month and the reason for the phone with the iphone SE is because I wanted a US phone number since my main one is a non US sim card and number. Should I even bother replacing the battery for it or not since it's just for youtube?

Also... when I connect my charger to it... many times it doesn't even charge and I have to unplug and plug again multiple times into the iphone SE to get it to charge. I assume there is damage to the port right and that is why? Or is it possibly the battery is so bad that could be a reason or not? There must be something loose inside the iphone SE charging port that is causing this? Now usually after unplugging and plugging it back strongly into the iphone SE, it then starts charging. But anyone know the reason for this? I don't believe it's the charging cable.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I also have a 13 mini and an SE 1st gen, the latter being my backup phone. With iOS 15, it works fine. I've replaced the battery in several SE's and it isn't difficult* barring getting the battery off, without isopropyl alcohol. Buy that and sprinkle generously (it'll evaporate eventually). Never mind the pull tabs, they'll break more often than not. You probably have loose lint in the charging port, just use a small piece of wood and clean it, carefully, exert no force.

*But be careful disassembling the Touch ID cable!

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I also have a 13 mini and an SE 1st gen, the latter being my backup phone. With iOS 15, it works fine. I've replaced the battery in several SE's and it isn't difficult* barring getting the battery off, without isopropyl alcohol. Buy that and sprinkle generously (it'll evaporate eventually). Never mind the pull tabs, they'll break more often than not. You probably have loose lint in the charging port, just use a small piece of wood and clean it, carefully, exert no force.

*But be careful disassembling the Touch ID cable!

How long ago did you upgrade to IOS 15 on the SE 1st generation? So no lagging or anything? How many times did you replace the battery? I only did it once at the apple store few years ago. Now battery health is 75% only and shows service. Are you suggesting to buy a new battery on ifixit and replace the battery either myself or have a repair shop do it? Apple store doesn't replace battery for old iphones like the SE 1st generation right?

Also you don't recommend going to a phone repair shop and asking them to replace the battery with a battery they have right? Buy a genuine one from ifixit or similar site and bring that to them? How long does it typically take for a repair shop to replace the battery and how much should one expect to pay around for it? Or would you say it's fine and just use it as it is? Again, I have it as a backup phone and it has a US sim card but I almost never did use. I only use it for youtubing at home via wifi because I prefer the smaller iphone as oppose to the mini 13.

The thing is the SE 1st generation never charges the moment you plug in the charging cable but when you unplug it and plug it in multiple times, it would charge. But if you move the phone a bit or the charging cable, it would then not charge. So this is 100% something in the charging port correct and not the charging cable right? But if I don't do anything... that's still fine? It's just unplug and plug the charging cable in few more times? That isn't an issue but it's annoying when you move the phone a bit and then it stops charging.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I updated to iOS 15 some time after it came, I believe, I have no problem with it, it works fine. So far, I've only replaced the battery once or twice, depending on which SE we're talking about. I bought a unbranded one, cheap, and it was rubbish, so I bought a more expensive one from PolarCell at Ebay, which was fine, and it's stronger than the original. Better batteries are more expensive. I've bought PolarCell since then, and I'm happy with the brand.
Yes, I'm suggesting you should replace your battery yourself or via a repair shop. I don't know what the latter will cost, ask around where you live, and what experience people have of that repair shop. In my country, Sweden, I have a great little repair shop, Appfix, and they charge like 40 dollars including battery, work, and VAT. But I only hire them for cell phones which are glued together. That shop will replace the battery within an hour, and I do stuff in town while waiting. Hopefully, you can find one where you live. Cheers, and good luck!

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Thanks. Would you say it's fine to do the IOS update first even if you don't replace the battery or is that bad idea?

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
So I updated to IOS 15.8. I notice that when I did this, I freed up 5gb of storage. Is this normal? I would have thought it would have taken up more storage?

So it should have lesser lag even if I don't replace the battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.