Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJP56324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
Hi,

I had my new iPhone SE 2020 delivered 2 weeks ago. I loved the device but I had to return it, sadly.

There is an issue with the speaker phone.

When you are on loudspeaker in a call, the person on the other end can hear an echo sound.

I could not hear it from my side but after calls to other people, the same complaint came up and I knew 100% it was the new iPhone SE 2020 causing it.

I tried resetting the Network Settings, rebooting the device and a factory restore - nothing solved the problem!

I use the loudspeaker all the time for phone calls, facetime, video calls, etc and I just could not live with it.

As this is a new device, I simply returned it and will buy again from a new batch in a few months. So it's back to my 6S for now.

But I'm just wondering, is anyone else having this problem?

The caller on the iPhone SE 2020 cannot hear it, only the person on the other end. For them - it sounds like any annoying echo / distortion, that does not go away.

A quick google search and I can see numerous posts about iPhone 11, 11 Pro / Max complaints about it also.

Search on google the phrase - 'iphone 11 echo sound'.

So, if you have one of those devices too, can you check it also? As I'm starting to think it might be a design flaw on newer devices. Something to do with the speaker or microphone. Or a software problem that Apple has not fixed in months, as these complaints date back to 2019.

I was running iOS 13.4.1 on the device also.

Thanks

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It happens with my iPhone 6+ too on iOS 9 and has plagued all iPhones to some degree.
This is what's happening:
When the caller speaks and the sound comes out of the speaker (loud), the mic pics up the sound and transmits it back to the caller. It's a feedback loop. It sounds like an echo because there's a time delay from when he speaks until when he hears is voice again as the signal traveles both ways across the cellular network.

Noise cancelling software can minimize it (feedback loop) but sometimes it doesn't work too well.

Try using earphones or turning the speaker volume down

Reactions: Virgilinsanity

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I haven't had that issue with my SE but my Dad has an 11 Pro and I get that echo all the time when he has it on speaker. Annoying af. "I'm getting an echo what are you doing?" "Hold on, is it gone now?" "Yeah okay." I thought it was some network issue.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an 11 Pro and I often get an echo of my own voice when on a call (not on speaker). Very annoying.

iikaros

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Every iPhone I've had since the original has had a terrible speakerphone. Blackberry had the best speakerphone IMO.

Have not had an opportunity to really test this out on my SE. While the phone is great and I'm really happy with it, I'm sure the speakerphone sucks just as bad as every other iPhone I've ever had.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

Deborah C.

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
I have the same problem with the echos. I tried to fix, but it wouldn't go away, so I returned the phone on Friday and exchanged it for a new one. The new one has the same problem. I guess I am going to return it because it doesn't make sense to have a non-usable phone. Hopefully I can find a model that does not echo.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
My mum bought an SE 2nd gen, it’s her first iPhone and every now and again at the beginning we got an odd echo when using FaceTime with her.
We experimented with the way she held the phone since it didn’t happen every time, or even for the whole call.
I turns out that in true Apple fashion, she was holding it wrong. Now that has been figured out we haven’t had one echo in weeks of chatting to her.
Maybe try adjusting your hand position whilst on a call to someone and find out what position causes the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.