iPhone SE: After nearly 1 year, still doing OK?

arkitect

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Just a general question for iPhone SE users as we're approaching the 1 year anniversary and I'm just curious how others' phones are performing.

For the last couple months it seems as if my phone is running hotter than before.

Is it age? (10 months)
Is it iOS 10.2?

FWIW, Coconut battery tells me my battery has 93% health, after 198 Loadcycles.

And also my Home Button is definitely getting a bit stickier/clickier…

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I have both and choose the SE over the 7.

SE is doing well. Love having a lightweight phone plus audio jack. Charging via anker and listening to future on my headphones right now traveling across world.
I was content with the iPhone SE even after the iPhone 7 came out, but then my dad gave me his old iPhone 6s and I didn't mind the larger size, so I decided to get the jet black 7. The only thing that really kept me back from getting the iPhone 6 or 6s was how ugly they were, but I don't find the jet black iPhone 7 ugly at all.

Reactions: eyoungren

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
My SE is running great. It's my spare/2nd phone so it definitely doesn't get as much abuse as my primary iPhone 7. But it's an incredibly sturdy phone. My old eyes have gotten used to the bigger screens now but the SE form factor is still the most comfortable design for an iPhone in my personal opinion. I love this phone.

Reactions: arkitect

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I sold my 5s after downloading the bulk iOS for the 5SE. I really love the battery life and of course the size. When I'm out I can see other screens from a distance cause they are HUGE lol. I hope Apple keeps this size because its more manageable vs iPhone 7/6

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I must say i am still happy how fast everything works. I really got no reason to upgrade, though i must admit, if i could afford a plus model, i might choose that.

But at all the se is a great phone which outperforms most newer models if not all available in his price range.

It's fast, great camera, all apps work fluently and battery is not great, but not bad either. And it's the first smartphone were i don't find any serious point why i should change to something else.

I also got this clicky sticky home button "problem". Hope this will not lead to a damaged button.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Just a general question for iPhone SE users as we're approaching the 1 year anniversary and I'm just curious how others' phones are performing.

For the last couple months it seems as if my phone is running hotter than before.

Is it age? (10 months)
Is it iOS 10.2?

FWIW, Coconut battery tells me my battery has 93% health, after 198 Loadcycles.

And also my Home Button is definitely getting a bit stickier/clickier…
I had the SE for six months. Great iPhone. Only drawbacks were the sub par display and speakers were lacking. Otherwise, the battery was stellar and comfortability was great. Built solid. I think the SE will be back in 2018 for a refesh.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My son uses the SE and regularly drains the battery. I'd say he averages 1 cycle a day easily. It seems to be doing just fine, though I don't have batteryu stats.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I have a 7 and se. I just made the se my regular phone. First I use prefer the headphone jack as I use an audio cable at work. Second it is almost as fast as my 7 was. Third the camera is the same one as in the 6s and to my untrained eye just about as good as the 7. Fourth and the biggest for me is that I like the smaller size phone as it is easier for me to use. These are all just opinions though.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm tempted to get a SE because I never owned a 4" phone and one-handed use is unmatched.

A pity Apple never upgraded the FFC...I don't take selfies, but do use FT.

If I'm not careful, I could have a small collection going in no time...I did this with laptops and a phone is a heckuva lot smaller. :)

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
My SE is doing very well. The home button is indeed very clicky lately though.

More storage (I went with 16GB) and 3D Touch would be nice. I'd be tempted by a 128GB model; a new colour would be lovely too.

Reactions: 358547

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
I love my iPhone SE , pretend to keep it for a long time . Fast , compact phone , great battery .love the Space grey color too . It's so gorgeous .
Same here. Space gray looks cool.
[doublepost=1487738982][/doublepost]
I must say i am still happy how fast everything works. I really got no reason to upgrade, though i must admit, if i could afford a plus model, i might choose that.

But at all the se is a great phone which outperforms most newer models if not all available in his price range.

It's fast, great camera, all apps work fluently and battery is not great, but not bad either. And it's the first smartphone were i don't find any serious point why i should change to something else.

I also got this clicky sticky home button "problem". Hope this will not lead to a damaged button.
The battery life is actually great. Can last 9 hours straight.

Reactions: Sunny1990

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
It could last 9 hours, but with the newest firmware i just get 7 to 8 hours until the battery is empty and the phone shuts down.

And i use the phone the same way like always, no new apps etc. .

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Still works great, but I'm noticing it's a little "laggy" after I updated from 9.3.5 to 10.2.1 last week. If Apple would update the screen to HD, give it a better front facing camera and OIS, it would be the perfect daily phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.