Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new $429 iPhone SE and $599 iPad Air with 5G connectivity do not appear to support the fastest mmWave 5G bands, based on the technical specifications listed on Apple's website.

iphone-se-5g.jpg

Both the iPhone SE and the iPad Air mention support for the following 5G bands in the U.S.: 5G NR (Bands n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n29, n30, n38, n40, n41, n48, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79), but there is no listing for mmWave bands as there is for the iPhone 13 models that do support faster 5G technology.

With no support for mmWave 5G speeds, the iPhone SE models will be limited to sub-6GHz 5G. sub-6GHz 5G is still faster than LTE in most cases, but it is not the super fast impressive 5G speed that you see in marketing materials.

Sub-6GHz 5G is much more widespread and will be the 5G available in rural and suburban areas, as mmWave 5G is shorter range and limited to more urban spots. That said, AT&T and Version have been expanding their faster 5G networks drastically in the U.S. with the release of C-band spectrum, and it is not clear if the new iPhone SE models will be compatible with the higher speed 5G available from the carriers.

The iPhone SE 5G and the iPad Air will be available for preorder this Friday and will launch on March 18.

Article Link: iPhone SE and iPad Air Don't Offer Fastest mmWave 5G

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The new iPhone SE also says “LTE advanced” only, as opposed to “Gigabit-class LTE” from the old SE.

I have to imagine that’s a mistake because there’s no way the new SE’s modem does not support gigabit LTE where the old one did.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is a rare miss by Kuo.

But at the same time, not unexpected. Apple isn't going to redesign the obsolete chassis with a new antenna, not for a $400 iPhone.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
The thing is that mmWave 5G is not exactly that common, even on Verizon. Now, mid-bad 5G is something else, though.

Your Freudian slip is showing.

Verizon Wireless CLAIMS all sorts of 5G C band coverage it doesn't have. It's marketing material is an out and out fabrication. You're more apt to get signals from an alien race than in most places VZW claims 5Guw via C band on their coverage maps.

The MM wave stuff is phenomenal when you're in range of it. Which usually means looking directly AT IT. It does work in sports arenas and some resort areas. It is a premium product, and I expect that most people that would see any use of it would opt for the more expensive handset anyhow.

I'm really disappointed with VZW's coverage of late, or lack thereof. I've been a sub since the Bell Atlantic days and VZW was always the gold standard here in the Northeast. From my vantage point, T mobile is eating their lunch.

If you're going by VZW's maps and are buying an SE through VZW for the 5G service, you will most likely be disappointed with it. At least in the near term.

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Interestingly the new SE drops support for CDMA. Sprint and Verizon are rapidly winding down their CDMA networks. RIP to the one-time superior 3G technology.

Reactions: TMax and Spacedust

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The new iPhone SE also says “LTE advanced” only, as opposed to “Gigabit-class LTE” from the old SE.

I have to imagine that’s a mistake because there’s no way the new SE’s modem does not support gigabit LTE where the old one did.

I think it's a compromise as gigabit LTE requires additional antennas. There isn't much space inside the SE and the device isn't expensive.

Reactions: TMax

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean?

We won't need to wait for a teardown to determine if it's X60. Once someone gets their hands on an SE3 on March 18, they just need to look at the modem firmware version in Settings > About.

If it's the same version number as what's seen on iPhone 13, that will confirm it's X60.

Reactions: JustSomebody12

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Unfortunately, this means the SE 3, Mini 6 and Air 5 will be the first Apple devices to become obsolete in terms of 5G connectivity. Even the iPhone 12 models have mmWave 5G.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Unfortunately, this means the SE 3, Mini 6 and Air 5 will be the first Apple devices to become obsolete in terms of 5G connectivity. Even the iPhone 12 models have mmWave 5G.

According to Apple, mid-band 5G offers up to 3.5 Gbits/sec. I doubt anyone will toss their phone because of modem speeds.

mmWave is a nice marketing checkbox, but practically speaking it's not really useful except for notebooks or many years down the road.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I doubt anyone is buying the new SE because they care about 5g speeds, imho!

And the sub mm isn’t really used too much outside of the USA (to the best of my knowledge).

Reactions: max2

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

Probably not because it is not supported, but there are no more Gigabit Class LTE in the market. All network are switching or are going to switch to 5G using previous 4G band.

And Gigabit Class LTE was pretty much an Intel marketing thing. ( If I remember correctly ). Qualcomm likes to use LTE Advance Pro.

And in 2022, we are still arguing about mmWave. People just dont learn.

Reactions: bluecoast and iAFC

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Could have been there. But considering the price of iPhone SE, seems ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.