iPhone se charges from one side

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Sep 13, 2016.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have an iPhone se. I have apple cables and third party. Only my apple cables allow my phone to charge from both sides and my third party cables only work if inserted one way.

The weird thing is that my gf has an iPhone six and my third party cables charge both ways on hers.

Any idea why? Both are running the latest 9.3.5Does the iPhone SE have a different checking mechanism than the iPhone 6 in regards to third party cables?

Thanks!

2. mo0620 macrumors regular

It could be a couple things, either charging port has to be replaced or the phone has an issue with the Tristar chip also sometimes known as "U2" chip. Best bet is to just get phone swapped out under warranty

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

iOS 10 is out by the way. Not sure if that would affect the issue.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

why would it work with some but not others?

5. mo0620 macrumors regular

This is just one of the symptoms of Tristar chip failing, not sure why, but you probably also see "Accessory not supported " message every now and then right? At my shop, that chip replacement is about $80-$100 depending on phone, so probably best to go through warranty. But in some cases it could be as simple as lint and junk stuck in charging port , just take a needle or a fine set of tweezers and dig in port to see if anything comes out.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have never seen that warning. I am confused that the phone and cable can dynamically assign pins on my apple cable but not my third party ones. I am even more confused that these same third party cables I have issues with are working perfect with an iPhone 6

Was there a difference in hw between these phone models? I would expect if the chip was an issue, then my phone would have issues with the apple cables too or that the third party cables were faulty. However, neither seem to be the case

7. mo0620 macrumors regular

In that case, definitely try to take a look at the charging port and take a fine set of tweezers or a thin paper clip to try to see if there is lint build up in the port. As far as Tristar chip, the iPhone 5c,5s,6,6+,6s,6s+, and SE share the same chip type, and that chip is prone to failure if you've used bad quality chargers, especially car chargers.