IPhone SE Charging Cable Replacement?

bobbype0

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
I bought an iphone se few years ago brand new from apple. Last time i went to apple to get the battery replacement for 29 dollars plus tax. I noticed that the charging cable that i use to connect to the other end of the charger or connect to my laptop... the wire is torn near the top part thus sort of near where you plug it to the other side. Thus you see the like broken wiring. At the moment, i could still charge my iphone SE with it though without a problem. I just noticed this right now.

Does anyone know how does this usually happen? I never noticed it was torn so i have to assume it was recent.

Can someone tell me the best replacement for it? Should i get it at apple directly and if so, is it like 20 dollars plus tax? Checked apple site and there are quite a bit a few of it. Which is the exact cable that came with my iphone se? Also i should avoid buying any replacement cables from say amazon right? I did check and they have cables that are compatible with the iphone se and many other iphones. But should i avoid those? Thanks.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
I bought an iphone se few years ago brand new from apple. Last time i went to apple to get the battery replacement for 29 dollars plus tax. I noticed that the charging cable that i use to connect to the other end of the charger or connect to my laptop... the wire is torn near the top part thus sort of near where you plug it to the other side. Thus you see the like broken wiring. At the moment, i could still charge my iphone SE with it though without a problem. I just noticed this right now.

Does anyone know how does this usually happen? I never noticed it was torn so i have to assume it was recent.

Can someone tell me the best replacement for it? Should i get it at apple directly and if so, is it like 20 dollars plus tax? Checked apple site and there are quite a bit a few of it. Which is the exact cable that came with my iphone se? Also i should avoid buying any replacement cables from say amazon right? I did check and they have cables that are compatible with the iphone se and many other iphones. But should i avoid those? Thanks.
I never buy Apple branded cables . They are expensive and they break. For the same price I would just get something else. I am using native union cables which I got on sale and they are great. Lifetime warranty and built way better. Anker also makes good cables as well.

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Buy certified MFI cables from Amazon or you can always go into an Apple store to see if the rep can replace it for you for free.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

I really like Anker cables. Cheaper than Apple and better built. They come in varying quality, but all are good. The top of the line Anker cables have a lifetime warranty; their other cables have an 18 month warranty.

Whatever cables you buy, make sure they are MFi certified. You can validate MFi claims here:
https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/getAPS

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
if you are nice to the genius then maybe they will replace it even out of warranty. I've had luck doing that a couple of times. If not then Anker makes an amazing product with which ive had really good success with over the years.

bobbype0

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
Im confused. So i could get the cable replaced for free at apple? My iphone se was bought over 2 years ago online though. I do not have warranty at all.

Is this good? Also i notice they have a 3.3ft one as oppose to 6.5ft one that is more cheaper. The cable that comes along with the iphone bought new is about 3.3ft right? Im looking at the one i have now and it looks around that length... Anyone can confirm?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U10GB20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A36JITAU1BVS0F&psc=1
[doublepost=1552767351][/doublepost]Also can someone here confirm the actual retail price of the apple charging cable? Is it 30 dollars? I can't view it for some reason at the moment.
[doublepost=1552767950][/doublepost]So stay away from the amazonbasic cable right?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-USB-Cable-Certified/dp/B07DC4RZPY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=iphone+se+cable&qid=1552767771&s=gateway&sr=8-4#customerReviews

Anker cable

There is like a 4.5 review over 3000 reviews. but look at the top reviews. So avoid this then? Someone here said get anker.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Powerline-Lightning-Certified/dp/B013JMBAMC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=31JN88QRLPQCM&keywords=anker+cable+iphone&qid=1552767884&s=gateway&sprefix=anker+cable,aps,231&sr=8-7

bransoj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2013
Amazon Basics cables are fine....i bought 2 longer onse a few weeks ago and again they are working fine.