Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
That wasn’t my point as much as it is: completely re-doing a UIx Is giving into amateurism and fashion. iOS 7 arrived and, as you say, they polished things to get to be good, where they are now. How much sense does it make to completely reinvent the UIx after 4 years of refining ios 7’s (turd of a, imho) redesigned UIx? In a situation where software can be refined so easily, a UIx reinvention makes zero sense other than to appease immature short attention span teenage consumers and Jony Ive.
Changing the main screen is a welcome change since it’s been looking the same for 11 years. Dark mode is also a good implementation since the newer iPhones feature an OLED display, it’s also much easier on the eyes. So I agree with an UI change and iOS is in dire need for it.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
This is really good news. My wife and my two teens have SE’s. I’m always hesitant to upgrade their devices but I’m going to do theirs today.

The SE really is an underrated smart phone and I’m glad Apple is still serious about supporting it (even though they’re not making anymore).

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Truly incredible! I bought my fiancé the 16GB SE 2 years ago and 2 years on, it's amazing. A true speedy lil thing. Zero slow downs going from iOS9 to 10 to 11. Installing 12 on it this weekend :)
Great little iPhone!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Changing the main screen is a welcome change since it’s been looking the same for 11 years. Dark mode is also a good implementation since the newer iPhones feature an OLED display, it’s also much easier on the eyes. So I agree with an UI change and iOS is in dire need for it.

Whoa. You're suggesting across the board change is needed just because a few things still have room for improvement, which opens the door to change-for-the-sake-of-change and changing some things that work pretty well (i.e., changing things that were refined since iOS7 which, IMHO, corrected some of iOS7's botched forced-design changes)?

Or are you suggesting to incorporate changes where recognized refinements are needed and a true benefit results (which is how it should be and how Apple OSX/iOS seemed before Steve passed, after which, IMHO, Jony was mistakenly given power to muddle with software)?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Whoa. You're suggesting across the board change is needed just because a few things still have room for improvement, which opens the door to change-for-the-sake-of-change and changing some things that work pretty well (i.e., changing things that were refined since iOS7 which, IMHO, corrected some of iOS7's botched forced-design changes)?

Or are you suggesting to incorporate changes where recognized refinements are needed and a true benefit results (which is how it should be and how Apple OSX/iOS seemed before Steve passed, after which, IMHO, Jony was mistakenly given power to muddle with software)?
What was the need to "refine" the OS X Lion UI from the refined Snow Leopard while Steve Jobs was still alive? Changes are always welcome and make products feel different and not always with the same boring UI every single year. Since elements have been refined since iOS 7 and iOS still looks the same as it did for 11 years on the Home Screen, there's nothing wrong with a change to make iOS feel different and new which is mostly coming with iOS 13 with a Dark Mode that will not only look great on all OLED iPhones but also maximize battery life. Those are not for the sake of changing but to enhance the experience to the user. Imagine the iPhone still kept the same design since the release so they wouldn't change it for the sake of changing, it would look totally out of place and boring to keep buying the same looking phone every year with no changes at all.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
I just updated my SE to iOS11 this week (had to for a work thing – testing a web product / needed latest browser) but I'm planning on rolling it back to 10 this weekend.

Is there a compelling argument for 12 over 10? I know 11 is a dumpster fire.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I just updated my SE to iOS11 this week (had to for a work thing – testing a web product / needed latest browser) but I'm planning on rolling it back to 10 this weekend.

Is there a compelling argument for 12 over 10? I know 11 is a dumpster fire.
Go up, is better then down. But you’re right, 11 was worst iOS ever.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
This won't stop people from coming up with more planned obsolesence-throttling-gouging conspiracy theories. Someone's going to see this as proof that the problems that were seen in the past were intentional all along because now that the heroic hall of Internet experts have caught them in their act, they're on their best behavior.

They’re ramping the cpu instantly now. No conspiracy theory.

They did get caught performing undisclosed throttling tied to age/use. No more conspiracy theory here either. Historical fact.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
iPhone SE feels like the latest phone after update
It was good on iOS 11. But with iOS 12, the SE feels like twice the phone. I never imagined it would run this well and smooth. Very impressed.
I agree.
New lease on life for my SE… I definitely think it is even better than iOS 11.
Raise to wake with finger on the home button = immediate unlock. With 11 I had to do a double press…

This is smooth and fast. Long may it last! :)
[doublepost=1537296163][/doublepost]
So that means the SE people will be happy and stop wishing for a SE2!
Haha! Nice try!
But no, we'd still love an SE2. (Speaking for myself of course.) :)

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I agree.
New lease on life for my SE… I definitely think it is even better than iOS 11.
Raise to wake with finger on the home button = immediate unlock. With 11 I had to do a double press…

This is smooth and fast. Long may it last! :)
[doublepost=1537296163][/doublepost]
Haha! Nice try!
But no, we'd still love an SE2. (Speaking for myself of course.) :)

I am glad that 12 did not harm the SE and in fact actually helped. I have two friends who live with them in their hand. One has even bought a brand new SE for a spare.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Tied to battery health. That's not the same as age. The conspiracy lives. Sigh.

Short of tying it to the TODC this is how you correlate age and performance. At least that’s how I would do it if I wanted to be sneaky. Provides a half legitimate back door response if caught doing it without acknowledgment. Which they were.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
At least that’s how I would do it if I wanted to be sneaky.

Nevermind anything I said. You are 130% right. They are out to get out and gouge you for everything. So why haven't you forsaken all of their products and destroyed or eBayed any Apple gear you have left? Why are you even still here?

Reactions: RudySnow

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Nevermind anything I said. You are 130% right. They are out to get out and gouge you for everything. So why haven't you forsaken all of their products and destroyed or eBayed any Apple gear you have left? Why are you even still here?

I’m not a quitter.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Truly incredible! I bought my fiancé the 16GB SE 2 years ago and 2 years on, it's amazing. A true speedy lil thing. Zero slow downs going from iOS9 to 10 to 11. Installing 12 on it this weekend :)
Great little iPhone!

I’m surprised she’s still your fiancé for buying only 16GB :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.